talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   New here, so posting some projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/6325-new-here-so-posting-some-projects.html)

TimberMagic 03-11-2014 05:24 PM

New here, so posting some projects

5 Attachment(s)
Things seem kind of quiet around here, Everyone must be busy working on projects! Since I am new to talkFestool, here are some of my projects.

First, a small, corner china cabinet (maple, purpleheart) I built for my oldest daughter (married with kids). Next one is a step stool (walnut and sassafras) for her. She is barely over 5 feet and was always dragging a chair into the kitchen to get something out of the cupboards.
EDIT: Picture left out, so added as the 5th picture below.

Next is my first Festool track saw project, a dog bowl stand for my younger daughter (no kids, but babies her new dog ...). It is plywood box, with cherry trim on sides and top, and covered with thin cherry MDF, and a tile inset on top. This project really proved how accurately a track saw can cut. All these dimensions were critical to get the numerous pieces to align and fit well.

Next up is a landmark plaque in oak, made for an historic building in Denver that my son-in-law renovated. I'll likely be doing some projects for him throughout the year.

I took up wood turning a couple years ago, and will post some pictures of some of my work -- pens, peppermills, tool handles, in another post.

Paul 03-12-2014 01:25 AM

Re: New here, so posting some projects

Hi Lee - welcome to the group. Your work is obviously well done, I particularly like the purpleheart and maple - nice stripes in the maple grain as well.

You are this accomplished already - just think what you can do after you spend your children's inheritance on Festools! They should love inheriting systainers full of tools instead of envelopes full of cash, don't you think?

Wonderwino 03-12-2014 01:58 AM

Very nice work, Lee!!! I've got to agree with Paul; that combination of maple with purpleheart accents is beautiful.

Alex :scool:

TahoeTwoBears 03-12-2014 01:06 PM

Nicely done. Doesn't look like lack of Festools has held you back at all.

Poto 03-12-2014 04:05 PM

Those are gorgeous, Lee! I particularly like the corner cabinet, and your use of the grain in the frame and panels. Beautifully done! :clapping1:

CharlesWilson 03-12-2014 04:16 PM

Lee,

Great projects!

The second picture appears to be another view of the china cabinet. I don't see a step stool photo.

Charles

TimberMagic 03-13-2014 12:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments.

Charles -- I goofed up the attachments, so the step stool is now there.

I'd say the corner cabinet and the step stool were some of the most challenging things I've ever built. The china cabinet door with the inset glass and trim around the glass inside the door took the longest. Cutting and planing and routing that maple was a bit of a challenge. And the maple in general was a challenge for me, to prevent chipout.

The step stool required super accurate rips since the pieces are randomly placed pieces with widths of 3/4", 1-1/2", and 2-1/4". Everything had to fit precise so I wasn't planing or sanding for months to get it all to fit! It will have to be a few years for the "experience" to wear off before I'd tackle that one again!

I was amazed at how much simpler that dog bowl stand was to get cut out, using the track saw. Next buy is a Domino. I am really looking forward to building some cabinets and picture frames using Dominos.

Ausrob 03-13-2014 07:35 AM

Very pretty.
I also like the Purple Heart and Maple, it's a great combination. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards,

Rob

FesRcool 03-24-2014 01:16 AM

Very nice, I hope to have time to start working out in the garage once things start warming up here in the midwest.

Good job.

Bill

Leakyroof 03-24-2014 04:19 AM

Great work. It all looks just well made and thought out . That's a lucky dog who gets their own handmade bowl stand:D
:welcome: :goodjob: