talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM

Default Drill Bit Tote

I didn't invent this, and I cannot even say for sure where I saw it. (I have lots of boxes full of old woodworking magazines. I probably should replace them with one of the numerous DVD sets available today ...).

I got tired of dragging out the metal drill index, folding out the racks, and flipping thru them to find what I wanted. I had a big set that also included "numbered" bits, but that metal rack was not included in the tote. I just don't use them that often. On this setup, one side is fractional bits, and the other side is lettered bits.

The racks were close to 3/4" thick, so this project was easy to make with 3/4" material. I had lots of small pieces of veneered MDF on hand, but plywood or even regular 3/4" lumber would work equally well. I arranged the 3 racks on my workbench with an inch or so of space between them, and determined the overall width. I then determined the height, and cut the fronts and spacers as needed. A thin strip runs under the racks to keep them from falling out, and the shorter racks got a bit of spacer material to bring them up to a good height for removing bits. Finally, the center spine and handle was made tall enough to allow an opening to be cut which allows me to grab it without getting poked by bits. The opening is just two holes drilled with a Forstner bit, and then the material between the holes was removed with a jig saw. Assembly was done with glue -- no real need for any reinforcement with screws or nails.

It always took two hands to get out the heavy drill index, but this tote is easy to grab, and I can easily take it with me to workbench or lathe, whereas before I did not, and usually just grabbed the bit or bits I thought I needed.

Thanks go out to the person that designed this thing awhile back, whoever you are.
Attached Thumbnails
drill-bit-tote-drill-tote-1.jpg   drill-bit-tote-drill-tote-2.jpg  

Last edited by TimberMagic; 03-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Drill Bit Tote

Cool tool there!

I have always had a love/hate relationship with my drill bit index, and this would really come in handy.

Looks easy to build, too - my favorite kind of project.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice organizer and a whole lot less expensive than the Festool assortment! This must be the week of shop organizers. I have been working on a "tool tower" which I will post in the next few days.

-Alex

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM

This was easy, and there is nothing like doing a project from start to finish in about an hour or so.

Since I only have one Festool, the TS 55 REQ (but lots of accessories and a 2nd rail), and still have not bought my Domino, a Festool drill, or bits and organizer, is just a wee bit further down the priorities list!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberMagic View Post
This was easy, and there is nothing like doing a project from start to finish in about an hour or so.

Since I only have one Festool, the TS 55 REQ (but lots of accessories and a 2nd rail), and still have not bought my Domino, a Festool drill, or bits and organizer, is just a wee bit further down the priorities list!
Better get busy on your Festool acquisitions. The annual price increase happens April 1!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Better get busy on your Festool acquisitions. The annual price increase happens April 1!
Yeah, and right at tax time! I hate to run up the credit card but may do so. I do get rewards points after all.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Hmmm. More Festools or contribute to a Roth IRA?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959