talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Wine Bottle Shelf

I had this slab of local cottonwood laying around that was harvested about 15 years ago. Our local Lions Club has been having an annual "Great Italian Feast" fund raising dinner for the past several years to benefit our local grocery store, which was reopened recently to create an oasis in the "food desert" that we live in.

I ran it through the A3-41, cut the holes with a Zobo bit & C12, routed the edges with an OF1010 and sanded with the ETS125 to 400 grit. I wiped it with Odies Safer Solvent, then applied Odie's Oxy Oil, rubbing it out with a terry cloth after an hour.

I donated it to the club as a "silent auction" item and it sold for $50. This is a picture in the buyer's home where it is being admired by all her friends, some of whom want her to start a wine tasting club so they can swap the bottles out each week. Pictured are 4 of the bottles of Vivac Syrah that were consumed at the dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
wine-bottle-shelf-cottonwood-shelf.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Wine Bottle Shelf

That looks very nice.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM

What a great idea! The design stands on its own, then the buyer added the idea of starting a wine tasting club & changing the bottles---great! Congratulations! Maybe you should look into patenting /marketing this design, etc. I think you have something here. Besides, this product usage coincides with your motto of "wine brings ..."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 AM

You should have had a reserve amount of at least 10 times what was actually bid - way too low for the value and quality of work. Or is it true that an artist is not appreciated during his lifetime? Great work.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Great idea! Something tells me Alex has enough empty wine bottles to supply the entire Crate and Barrel chain with these shelves!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

All I need is a healthy supply of slabs...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959