talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Uncle Al's Workshop

My 5-year-old nephew spent the day with me in the shop and wanted to make something for his Mom. I took a kit approach and cut the parts for him. He drilled the screw holes, relieved the corners with a small Kuntz plane, glued & screwed it together. He painted it with latex paint. His Mom loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
uncle-als-workshop-image-3609840725.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Last edited by Wonderwino; 01-23-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Uncle Al's Workshop

Uncle Al's the greatest! Nice way to spend time together.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Very nice. He's pretty good at that, considering his age. I have two granddaughters (6 and 3), so I hope I can encourage them to take an interest in woodworking. My wife and I are birders, so I may have to follow your lead and maybe make some bird house kits they could help build.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

That's great that you have two little ones that are interested in woodworking. You never know; one might be the next Megan Fitzpatrick!

I had my nephew watch and he stood on a stool and put his hand on mine as I cut the parts with the TS55 on the MFT/3. That gave him a feel of what the power tools can do. I also helped him guide the CXS drill, but he did all the pushing. I think I might help him build a small saw bench like my Dad did for me when I was about 5. Then we can do some hand sawing projects.

Alex

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

That's so fun, Alex! I'm surprised you didn't have Dylan using your BCTW handplanes for the work, after his wonderful debut at the WIA!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Dylan is the OTHER nephew, the one in La La land. Jay is the local, down to earth, Kansas man. He likes country music and talk radio.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Ah - a MAN's man!