talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 AM

Default Lathe Stand

About a year ago my daughter wanted to take the pen turning class at Woodcraft, and wanted me to go with her. We had a good time and ever since my favorite sales guy at Woodcraft has been working on me to buy a lathe... Well a few weeks ago I walked into a local version of Home Depot to find a Jet 12-21 lathe for 25% off, well one thing leads to another...

The lathe was a good price but the stand was way over priced, so I built one. Looking on Craigs list for a used glue lam for a top I found a lady who was selling her late husbands wood stash. Thick Maple slabs for 4.00 BF and thick slabs of Myrtle for 5.00 BF. I stocked up and this stand for my new lathe is the first project.

I used the 8/4 and 12/4 maple from the stack I bought and left over Purple heart from my bookcase project. The design I copied and modified from a posting I saw on Lumberjocks forum.

Construction is glue and 2X Miller PH dowels. Target Coatings 9300 Polycarbonate Urethane, semi gloss.

I now have it curing in my living room being the garage is so cold. My wife says it will be a waste to mount the lathe on it!

A new skill set to learn.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
lathe-stand-img_0928.jpg   lathe-stand-img_0936.jpg   lathe-stand-img_0931.jpg   lathe-stand-img_0932.jpg   lathe-stand-img_0935.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Lathe Stand

That's a beauty, Mark. I guess you'll need to build another one now. Just don't make it so pretty!
Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Beautiful, Mark!!! If you mount the lathe and start turning in the living room, your wife might want it back in the garage.

She might want you to make a new coffee table with the rest of the wood...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
My wife says it will be a waste to mount the lathe on it!
Your wife is 100% correct.

Charles
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM

That is really gorgeous. A lathe is on my short list. I would be interested in seeing some of your turning projects (hint hint)
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Very nicely done!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:49 PM

That ought to work for a mini! Craft Supply is going to be your new best friend if you get into turning much. I used to think Dale Nish ought to send me Xmas cards for what I spent there the first couple years I was turning.
That is a good looking stand. I'd like to hear what you think too as you dig into things. if you want my 2cents on tools or whatever, just shout.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 AM

Thanks Randy, It is nice to have someone to bounce questions off.

I have so far purchased a few turning tools from Dave at D-Way tools and I got a CBN 180 grit wheel for my Baldor grinder from him also. I also bought a Wolverine jig at Dave's suggestion.

I hope to be setup and ready to turn some things when the stand is done curing. I need to make a template to drill holes for the bolts to hold down the lathe. The books says the holes are 5/16 x18 but they sure look smaller than that!

Mark
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
Thanks Randy, It is nice to have someone to bounce questions off.

I have so far purchased a few turning tools from Dave at D-Way tools and I got a CBN 180 grit wheel for my Baldor grinder from him also. I also bought a Wolverine jig at Dave's suggestion.

I hope to be setup and ready to turn some things when the stand is done curing. I need to make a template to drill holes for the bolts to hold down the lathe. The books says the holes are 5/16 x18 but they sure look smaller than that!

Mark
Wise!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM

I finally have my Lathe stand done. Here is a photo of the lathe in it's new home.

Sorry you have to stand on your head to see it.....
Attached Thumbnails
lathe-stand-photo.jpg