talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Planked Half Model

Cricket, you just can't believe how much I am enjoying your posts here. I'm so sorry I haven't added any posts before this - it's been a busy time. But your explanations, wonderful pictures, and use of such cool jargon is quite stimulating! Thank you so much for taking the time to share these wonderful constructions. They're just SO COOL!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Thanks very much Super Moderator! To continue, I planked the model up to the last plank before the sheer. At this point, I like to re-line the sheer and have a look before putting on the deck (on my models, the deck goes on before the sheer plank).

A couple of different views.

I also shot a few pics of the model laid out on the actual plans. These are interesting from a purely visual point of view.

Next I cut and fit the deck. I made patterns of each end, notching around the stems. I marked a reference point from each end pattern on the profile backer, and connected these 2 points with a batten, bent in place. I lifted the patterns and the batten off and laid them out on my deck stock, then traced them off. When the batten unbends, it gives the true length of the deck piece. I cut it out, and sprung it into place. It fit pretty good!

I'll continue this later...
Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That is really looking great, Cricket! The model does look right at home resting on the plans - perhaps this is a mount that might look really sharp!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM

....The sheer plank went on, and that stage is done.

There is an outer keel on this design, and an outer stem. On some boats this is done in one piece, with a rabbet from end to end that accepts the length of the garboard plank, and the plank hood ends. On my boats I always do this in two pieces, glued on. The former is more traditional, and the latter is way easier, and perfectly acceptable.

Outer keel is glued on, but left long until the stems are finished.

One thing I did before the stems, and what I do on the full size boats as well, is to run an epoxy fillet below the laps on all the planks. I use thickened epoxy and a little radiused paddle to run the fillet. If it goes on smooth, there is little sanding to do afterward. The fillet makes for a good paint job, with no hard corner or little gaps to crack.

The stem, unshaped at this point, goes on. I may have mitered that joint on the big boat, I don't remember, but this joint allowed me to wedge the end under the overhanging keel, then bent on around the stem. After gluing, I cut off the keel and rounded it over, then shaped a radius on the stem edge.

I next made up a tapered rub rail and covering board, fitting the ends carefully to the stems, and glued them on. I also shaped the stem projections above the deck. It's ready to paint.

After priming with gesso, I noticed that a couple of the plank ends had lost their definition, filling in too much with the filleting shown above). I took a small chisel and file to re-create the crisp plank lines before finish painting, which will be next...