talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Second grandchild means second crib project

I should have started the tradition of making something simpler for my children as they have grandchildren for me, got this second one finished just a few days after my grandson (my second grandchild) was born, another benefit of the human 9 month gestation period. Any shorter length of time and I don't know if I could meet the deadline.

I hope he likes it, threw a twist in the legs, turned out more subtle than planned. His mother specified the finish, I wasn't a fan initially, but it reflects their taste, turned out OK.

I swore before that I would never color a project again, waaay too much swearing involved, but what mama wants, mama gets, right? Even with it is the daughter in law not the wife. The pictures look purple, but it is actually charcoal gray, as ordered. Stock is soft maple, with 3:1 GF ebony dye stain to GF whitewash stain mix, with GF Arm R Seal topcoat. I am new to GF products, but am becoming a fan.

My apologies for the lousy photography, another thing on my list of things to learn, I guess.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Second grandchild means second crib project

Beautiful crib, Paul. There are a lot of design choices you had to make in that piece, and they all come together really nicely. Great job! I really love the graceful curve of the top rails, and the fun twists you put in the legs.

It is curious how purple the finish looks. Must be a trick of the light.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Although I am opposed to color generally, at least it is not purple as the prior pictures suggests - pretty standard charcoal gray color is how it turned out.

The color here is a bit better, but still more purple than the actual color.

Last edited by Paul; 11-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM

I love it, I am glad it will be awhile before I have to make one.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

... another benefit of the human 9 month gestation period. Any shorter length of time and I don't know if I could meet the deadline.
For me it would probably take a gestation period of 5 years.

I have 5 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren, yet no one has ever asked me to build anything. With my reputation for being slow at getting things done, it's no wonder.

Paul, what a great job of design and execution. I love that crib. It will likely be a conversation piece in your family for many years to come.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys. I always thought it was a cliche, but grandkids are great. I still feel too young to be called grandpa, it is strange but I like it. We go to Texas in a week or two to meet our grandson and deliver and set up the crib, I hope it fits in the overhead bin.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 AM

That's beautiful, Paul. Really nice design and execution. I hate staining too, makes me swear big time. How did you do the twist in the legs?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Soaked em for a few days, put them in a vise and strapped a big 2 x 4 on and started turning. That didn't work so well so I just got really friendly with a couple rasps, hand-carved them.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Great work, Paul. You'll have to have a word about how fast these grand children are appearing!

Regards,

Rob