talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Default Son of Laundry Mongrel!!

So the Son of Laundry Mongrel started out as a crappy 1970's wire basket set in a dysfunctional frame. But we had the technology, so we rebuilt him. Now he's made of Douglas Fir, radiata Pine and Alpine Ash (AKA KD Hardwood) along with his wire baskets. Oh! and he has wheels!
I selected the Ash for it's figure. The finish is Hard Burnishing Oil on the top and Wipe On Poly elsewhere.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
son-laundry-mongrel-1.jpg   son-laundry-mongrel-2.jpg   son-laundry-mongrel-7.jpg   son-laundry-mongrel-3.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Son of Laundry Mongrel!!

That is a nice way to keep the wire baskets functioning for you.

I have something like that on wheels about six feet tall in a pantry closet. It consists of two of your frames stacked and on wheels. After 15 years, the original plastic components holding the wheels to the frame disintegrated, so I made a wooden wheeled frame to support the frame from underneath. If (when) the frame components start to disintegrate, I'll support them with an open wooden frame.

Charles
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! But why are there screws in the top in one picture, and not in the other?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Hi Poto,

The picture without the screws was taken before the unit was finished. Because of the way the baskets were set, there was no way I could put buttons under the top unfortunately...but then ...it is the Son of Laundry Mongrel.

Regards,

Rob
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Hi Charles,

The steel frame which held the baskets had reached a stage where it kept opening up at the joints, so if you pulled one of the baskets out, they all collapsed onto each other. Also, you may notice that the original set up had the baskets coming out with the narrow side to the front. I turned them round so the wide side faces the front. Much more sensible!

Regards,

Rob
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Hi Charles,

The steel frame which held the baskets had reached a stage where it kept opening up at the joints, so if you pulled one of the baskets out, they all collapsed onto each other. Also, you may notice that the original set up had the baskets coming out with the narrow side to the front. I turned them round so the wide side faces the front. Much more sensible!

Regards,

Rob
Oh, that! That happened to me long ago. I jury rigged it by holding the sides together with cable ties. It's ugly, but, it is inside a closet/pantry, so I can hide it from my eyes. When that fix finally gives out, I'll follow your lead.

Charles