talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Default Guitar Amplifier Head Enclosure

Someone emailed me the other day (Friday) and asked if I could make one of these beasties. So I said, sure, lets give it a try. His concern was that he wanted finger joints in ply wood (16mm/11 ply) He had been to both a CNC and Water cutting shop and was unhappy with the result. Both gave great results up to about 3-5mm then the shape was lost.
So he came over to the shop and I used my Leigh Finger Joint jig to try and get some good cuts.
Started with a 1/4" cutter (spiral upcut), but this was an old cutter and blunt. Even with protective boards in front and back of the work piece, I wasn't satisfied with the result. So we tried a 3/8" cutter and got great results. This was a Festool 10mm spiral upcut cutter. Since we had then run out of sample, he decided he would like to see how Tassie Blackwood would look as an enclosure, using a template for the chassis as the base.
The cuts were beautiful, without the need for protection. I shall post a picture of the fingers tomorrow. But here are some pics of the enclosure with wet Hard Burnishing Oil on it and then how it looks after the oil has been sanded and wiped down.
It sort of blew him away when he saw it. I have included a picture taken from the end of the enclosure. There appears to be chipping (white patches) at the end of the joints. These are not scratches or tear out, but just in need of a final polish.
If you were to couple this with a speaker box in Blackwood as well, it would truly look awesome. Maybe we will do that!

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
guitar-amplifier-head-enclosure-9.jpg   guitar-amplifier-head-enclosure-10.jpg   guitar-amplifier-head-enclosure-11.jpg   guitar-amplifier-head-enclosure-12.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 07-25-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Guitar Amplifier Head Enclosure

Cool! I've used the Leigh finger joint jig, it was very easy to use although I haven't used it on ply.
I once made a couple of speakers for a friend. He demanded I use Baltic birch ply, as he said it holds the best acoustic properties.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Cool! I've used the Leigh finger joint jig, it was very easy to use although I haven't used it on ply.
I once made a couple of speakers for a friend. He demanded I use Baltic birch ply, as he said it holds the best acoustic properties.
Hi Okami,
I think you're probably right. This guy wants to use Australian Ply wood (not sure of the species), but I have recommended Birch to him anyway.
I have also been told that MDF is the medium to use for speakers as it totally tone neutral.

Regards,

Rob
Old 08-03-2013, 01:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Aren't most speakers MDF with veneers to provide for final finish? That's what I've assumed for a long time.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:33 AM

Hi TTB,

Yes, you are right, for speakers MDF is tone dead. But this is the amplifier unit itself. Full of valves and transistors. It can look as pretty as you like using real timber.

Regards,

Rob