talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Game Table

Thanks for sharing your interesting project - great craftmanship. MFS compenents are one of those things I can't believe I paid that much money for but find myself using them to great advanatage more frequently that I imagined. Your use of them was very instructive.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM

The table was finally delivered and assembled on Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, with a couple of adjustments completed over the holiday. The frame and components fit in the back of the Outback, with room for birthday presents, assembly tools and a week's worth of clothing for two.

I used 1/8" hardboard (I have heard it referred to as tile backer) for both the vault bottom and the vault cover.

I decided not to rout the cove into the outside edge of the ledge boards. Since there are no other curves in the rest of the table design, I thought it would have looked out of place.

This table will be used by a family with children and cats 200 miles from my home. I chose a finish that can be easily repaired and maintained by them. Three applications of Tung Oil were followed, after a three week cure, with two thin coats of "Good Ol' Brown Wax". I left a quart of Tung Oil, a can of wax and synthetic 0000 steel wool with the table.

Much to my delight, everything went together smoothly. My trusty C12 was used to drive all of the Kreg screws, and a 9/16" socket fastened the legs in place. The game vault bottom was covered with a suitable piece of red velvet and set on top of the supports. The photo below shows the table as it is used for game play:

When game play is interrupted, the 'cat shield' is slid into place. The hardboard vault cover resting on the top edges of the vault trim boards will hold the weight of a few cats without the need for any additional supports underneath.

For dining, the leaves are placed on top of the table without having to remove the 'cat shield' (vault cover). The portions of the table leaves that rest on the tops of the ledge board have a layer of shelf liner adhered to them with double stick tape. This prevents scraping of the ledge boards and facilitates storage of the leaves when not on the table.

Of course, suitable chairs, accessories and placemats will have to be acquired in order to fully appreciate the playing/dining experience.

So, the first of two tables is out the door and the second is ready for finishing. Designs for accessories are still in the requirements gathering stage. Crokinole boards are lined up for inlaying and finishing. December will be a busy month.

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 12-09-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Great job, Charles!

I love the design and functionality.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Looks like your channel design is a half dovetail, is that correct? Accessories simply drop in and then can slide from side to side as desired? Looks great, lots of interesting possibilities. Although I admit that I had to look up crokinole, apparently my gaming education is severely lacking.

Excellent workmanship and design - thanks for posting for all of us to share.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM

I have updated my SketchUp Model to indicate support boards for the vault ends that I have added to the table. The link is:

https://app.box.com/s/uer4dsvqwxjmtkrl38co

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 12-03-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: replaced with correct link
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Looks like your channel design is a half dovetail, is that correct? Accessories simply drop in and then can slide from side to side as desired? Looks great, lots of interesting possibilities. Although I admit that I had to look up crokinole, apparently my gaming education is severely lacking.
The channel design is half dovetail, with the lower surface flat and the upper surface dovetailed. Accessories can be designed as either non-locking or locking. I intend to make accessories with a locking feature, as I have been informed that the non locking variety is susceptible to unintended removal (from merely standing up and banging into it).

I created a Crokinole thread on talkFestool:

Crokinole Board(s)

Any updates to that project will be posted on the FOG.

Charles
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM

The Flickr Game Table set has now been updated:

Game Table - a set on Flickr
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Fantastic job!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM

What's your design for the locking mechanism in the half dovetail channels?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What's your design for the locking mechanism in the half dovetail channels?
My initial thoughts are that I will have a central projection that engages the dovetail portion in the upper part of the slot after sliding in and two rails (one on each side) that engage the bottom of the slot after the upper part is in position. The rail engagement will involve either a sliding or pivoting action, after which the rails will be locked in place until the accessory is to be removed.

Charles