talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Game Table

This has turned into a very interesting thread, Charles.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 AM

The time has come for machining the table leaves to the proper dimensions from rough boards. The original 11 foot boards were first cut with a jigsaw to slightly over their desired length. Here we have 16 boards piled up on the MFT awaiting further processing. In the background there is also a stack of most of the offcuts from these tables. They will be fashioned into accessories that will attach to the rail channels when they are being used.

The boards for the leaves range in width between 8" and 11.5". The jointer that has been used so far in this project is a 6" jointer. The jointer has been used in the past to successfully process up to 8" wide boards by teaming up the jointer with the thickness planer. (First you joint 6" of the board with the jointer and then run the board through the thickness planer with its jointed surface riding on top of a 6" wide board that has already been trued.) That technique doesn't work too well when the overhang gets too large.

The thickness planer is of the lunchbox variety.

The jointing can be accomplished using the thickness planer by using a sled to support the stock. This solution was suggested to me by Per Swenson a few years ago, and it facilitated the fabrication of a dining table I made for my son.

The board sits on the supports which are adjusted to prevent any wobble when it runs through the planer. Once it has been jointed, the board can then be run normally through the thicknesser.

The whole assembly is not light, so height adjustable support rollers will be used on both the infeed as well as the outfeed.

Charles
Old 09-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Charles,

What the function of the bungee cord?

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM

It helps to hold the height adjuster boards down. Here is a link to a Fine Woodworking video about the sled:

Fine Woodworking Planer Sled
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 PM

Progress report:

The leaves were dimensioned earlier this week. The notches in the top of the legs for the corners of the frame were cut today using the MFS to cut two notches at a time. Since the legs are made frem 2.75" square wood and the notches are 1.25" squares that are 4.5" long, I set up the MFS to make two legs at a time. The MFS was set up as follows:

The photo above shows the MFS from underneath, where the two positioning brackets will center two legs, and the board clamped at the end will position the legs so that a 4.5" notch is routed. A 30mm guide plate was used with the 10mm straight bit. The OF 1400 was just able to make a 1.25" deep cut into the leg. There may have been a half mm to spare if I needed to go deeper.

After routing, due to the 10mm bit, the corners and some internal edges were rounded. Most of these were cleaned up by rotating each of the legs 90 degrees and swapped. When the MFS was put back in place, a quick pass of the router at the 1.25" depth quickly cleaned up all of the rounded edges except for the corners where three routed surfaces meet. These were quickly cleaned up with a chisel. (A little sandpaper on the frame corner could have eliminated the need for this cleanup.)

The last photo shows the ends of two legs after the second pass with the MFS.

Leg tapering is next. I have ruled out the table saw for safety reasons. I can use the guide rail and MFT if I support the leg for the second taper with the offcut from the first. I could also use the MFT if I put a sacrificial board at least a half inch thick under the leg for the second taper cut. The guide rail would be sloped, but the MFT would be unharmed.

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 10-14-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Fix Flickr Links
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 AM

Those are good pics and I am learning a lot so thanks for sharing!

A question regarding the MFS setup - I have been reading a couple of good tutorials about the MFS. Is your rectangle 134mm x 83mm? I figured a 10mm offset based on your router bit and bushing combo + the 4.5" x 2.5" in mm equivalents.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
A question regarding the MFS setup - I have been reading a couple of good tutorials about the MFS. Is your rectangle 134mm x 83mm? I figured a 10mm offset based on your router bit and bushing combo + the 4.5" x 2.5" in mm equivalents.
Those are the settings I used. I could have made the 134mm larger if the block used for positioning the tops of the legs was located more than 10mm into the rectangle.

Charles
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM

The components are all cut to size for the two tables, and the rails are awaiting the mounting notch (half dovetail). The setup I used for routing the accessory notch in the rail is shown below with one of the end boards being clamped to it. I ended up using all of my MFS rails in this setup.

Here is a view from the end:

The notch is made with a combination of cuts with the 10mm straight bit and the 20mm - 10 degree dovetail bit. I started with the straight bit, and finished up with the dovetail bit.

All the pieces are now stacked up on shelves. All of the leaves are stacked at the front of the bottom shelf. On the top shelf, one ledge board and four legs are visible in this first photo.

Viewed from the side the top shelf contains:
The vault trim boards (upper left)
The end rails with notch cut in them (middle)
Four legs (top right)
All eight ledge boards (bottom right)

On the lower shelf:
All of the poplar rail support components (upper left)
The end rails with notch cut in them (upper middle)
All of the leaves (right) showing the end grain

And, patiently waiting on the sidelines, we have the two assembled frames.

Charles
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 AM

Looking great Charles
Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Well, it's been more than a couple of weeks, and due to travel, restoring of computers and operating system upgrades, progress has been interrupted. The first table has been assembled on top of my MFT (with a little help from feed supports), and has the leaves for both tables sitting on top in the photo below:

In the next photo, the leaves have been removed, revealing the inner structure of the game table. The vault supports are setting the vault bottom at its upper level (about 2 inches from the bottom surface of the leaves). The vault bottom can be an additional 1.5 inches lower than shown, if desired.

Here is a close up view of the vault supports:

The following photo shows the details of the corner from the inside of the frame with the corner plug removed.

Now, with the corner plug in place:

And, finally, with a decorative cover screwed into the tapped threads of that unsightly screw! (Thank you, Lee Valley.)

There is still some routing to be performed on the edges of the top ledge rails and the leaves. After that, sanding, finishing and leaf alignment hardware installation. (The sanding and finishing operations can easily take up to half the project time and will certainly provide logistical challenges in my small shop.)

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 10-29-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Restore links