talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Default Crokinole Board(s)

In 2010, Frank Pellow started a thread on the FOG entitled:

Three Crokinole Boards

This year I decided to make some of my own and the first one completed is shown in the following image:

and resulted in my Reply #12 in Frank's original thread:

Reply #12 in Three Crokinole Boards

My Flickr set Crokinole contains all of photos associated with this ongoing project. It currently is disorganized, and contains no comments, but does show some of the operations and fixtures developed to construct the frames.

Charles
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Crokinole Board(s)

I have been building 15 Crokinole boards since my last posting. The playing surface (including inlay channels) was cut on a CNC machine. Instead of inlaying with epoxy as was done previously, Peruvian Walnut, which supposedly does not lose its color over time, was used.

All of the boards in process were inlaid and 2 were just completed. The threaded inserts are in place, and the posts will be installed after transport.

The wood used for the two frames is Padauk, which was much easier to work with than the Bloodwood used in a previous project. The future frames will not be made of premium hardwood, as at least 4 board feet of wood goes into each frame, which simply serves to prevent Crokinole discs from flying all over the room after they leave the playing surface.

I will soon be adding descriptions to the photos in the Crokinole set on Flickr.

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 01-23-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Those look great Charles. What wood are you using?

Neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
Those look great Charles. What wood are you using?

Neil
I am planning to use Poplar for the remaining frames. Milk paint, sealed with tung oil will probably be used if the resulting appearance is as attractive as I expect it to be. It can't possibly look as good as any of three frames made so far, but should still look reasonably good.

I am now learning of one disadvantage to using epoxy as the inlay material, which was used in the first board completed last May. Now that home humidity has reached its low point for the year, the epoxy is ever so slightly proud of the playing surface. It isn't enough of a problem to noticeably affect play, but it just isn't as 'perfect' as I had hoped it would be.

The inlay material for the remaining boards is Peruvian Walnut, which should react in a similar way as the playing surface to humidity changes, and thus be closer to that ever elusive 'perfect' result we all aim for.

Charles
Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Here is one of the boards delivered and hanging at the bottom of the stairs. A clock is also centered on the playing surface. Since the clock chimes each hour with a different frog 'croak', this can now be described as a Croaking Crokinole Board.

Here is a photo showing a bit more detail of the clock:

Charles
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I like it. How many different frog croak's are there (besides the obvious 12)? Are they all different?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Croaking Crokinole board!

I assume the clock can be removed for play...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
I like it. How many different frog croak's are there (besides the obvious 12)? Are they all different?
A high resolution version of the clock can be found at
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/1...2791117b_o.jpg

I found the following description for the clock on QVC:

This unique frog clock uses the actual songs of the pictured frogs as a greeting on the hour. The clock has a light sensor that deactivates the songs when no light is present. The trim of the clock is blue with a cream face picturing the frogs with the words "The Discovery Channel/New World Frogs." Some of the frogs featured are Bullfrog, American Toad, Pacific Tree Frog etc. Clock measures: 13-1/2'D x 2"Deep. Taiwan.

Charles
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Finally, the last of the 15 Crokinole boards has been delivered. In addition, I came up with a convenient way to affix a clock to the Crokinole board when it is hanging on a wall.

Originally I hogged together a wood assembly that gripped the bumpers on the board. It needed to be adjusted with a screwdriver to hold the assembly in place. This was a cumbersome and annoying process. The clock was mounted on a screw head that was part of that assembly. What I came up with for the run of 15 Crokinole boards, and my original board is illustrated below

The two pieces of baltic birch plywood were cut with a dado blade and glued in the center. The two objects that look very much like chlothespins are made of walnut (not a good wood to use for hanging because they will stain clothes) and are attached so that they will grip two of the 3/8 inch posts on the crokinole board. A screw is placed on the vertical board to hang the clock centered on the board.

Pieces of shelf liner are double stick taped to the bottom of the assembly.

Lifting the shelf liner covering the 'clothespins' reveals the modification made to the conventional design. A notch is created so that the metal of the spring does not extend beyond the side of the pin adjacent to the Crokinole board. The clothespins I made for this assembly are slightly wider than normal in order to accomplish this.

The assembly is placed onto the Crokinole board using the two posts just above the center of the board. A screw is located on the vertical board to center the clock.

As simple as this solution looks, it still took me almost a year before it came to me. That is why I prefer to improve the ideas of others rather than come up with my own.

Charles