talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 AM

Default Three Generations of Lap Desks

What I am currently calling a Lap Desk begain its incarnation in my workshop as an imitation of the Thomas Jefferson writing desk used for the writing of the Declaration of Independence. I later modified it slightly as presented in this thread from 2008:

Writing Desk

A third generatioon prototype was created and four desks built. The latest model sports a much larger variation in angle for the reading/writing surface, the ability to easily mount accessories to the lap desk, machined components for the latching mechanism, wooden hinges and a secret compartment. This effort is chronicled in:

Lap desk: Three Versions (so far)

The Bloodwood desk travelled with me across the country last September and, due to the large swings in relative humidity encountered, its bottom split. This confirmed the claims that, within a single board, Bloodwood often accumulates stresses that cause warping and splitting. The desk writing surface, box top, box bottom and drawer bottom were all resawn from a single 8/4 board. Only the box bottom exhibited the undesirable effect. The lower portions of the drawer box were surgically separated from the rest of the desk by the table saw, leaving a very nice and functional lap desk (sans drawer). The drawer will be repurposed in a future creation, so all is not lost.

Yes, there will be a fourth generation, and it will be almost exclusively made of South American Mahogany. (We woodworkers learn from our mistakes.)

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 07-23-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added brief description of Third Generation mods, removed wanton asterisk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!