talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Wood Glider Rebuild (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/5885-wood-glider-rebuild.html)

Leakyroof 07-11-2013 03:21 PM

Wood Glider Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
We've had this glider for years, and since it was given to us by our previous next-door neighbors who've since moved away, I don't know how old this bench/glider really is. They had it for some time before us.
Lower supports rotted, round supports getting weak, and the flat brackets with a Mortise and Tenon at either end had packed it in as well.:Loser:
But, the rest of it is in great shape, so I started to take it apart to layout new wood pieces for it and measure the various rivet holes and mortises.

Leakyroof 07-11-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Wood Glider Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Better , centered view

Leakyroof 07-11-2013 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New hunk of Sapele, already cut to length with my 12" SCMS. One rip cut to get a blank that will be further shaped and split in two on my 14" Bandsaw.

Leakyroof 07-11-2013 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, 10" saw JUST makes it. Any thicker and I would have ripped it on the BS as well. OR, followed Okami's lead and gotten a larger Northfield Saw:bananarock:
More pictures tonight of the shaped leg supports which are now cut and waiting to be smoothed out on my little spindle sander .

Okami 07-11-2013 04:53 PM

Hi Leaky!
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's a glider?
Do you ever experience any bogging down of your 10" saw on a full depth rip?
I guess it depends on the blade and HP of the motor.
Looking forward to seeing the rebuild!

Leakyroof 07-11-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okami (Post 85840)
Hi Leaky!
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's a glider?
Do you ever experience any bogging down of your 10" saw on a full depth rip?
I guess it depends on the blade and HP of the motor.
Looking forward to seeing the rebuild!

First, a glider here in the US is a 2 or 3 seat bench that has a rocking or pivot mechanism built into it[could be called something else around the world...;)]
Next, as the wood was not dense, I actually got away with using a Forrest Combo blade for a smooth rip cut, and did not change the blade to my Forrest Rip blade[although, I should have...:rolleyes:]
The Unisaw did not seem to mind the 3 1/8" or so thick wood.
My Rikon Band Saw, which only has a 1 1/2HP motor on it did fine as well. I used a narrower blade than usual since I was cutting curves all around the leg pieces once I had the blank off the table saw to work with.
Not sure who named the benches as Gliders, but if you google them, it's a very common usage name here in the US. I guess 'Rocking Bench" didn't market as well...:laughing1:
One more thought, you could say it's All Chaulk and Cheese to Me......

Okami 07-11-2013 11:47 PM

Ah! I thought it might be one of those rocking benches:D I honestly don't know what they call them elsewhere:) I've never actually seen one in person.

Leakyroof 07-12-2013 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Main feet or lower support pieces

Leakyroof 07-12-2013 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3rd, smaller glider mechanism support arm with the larger feet. Surprisingly, the glider arm was the totally rotted piece that started this whole project, and it lives off the ground. Unlike the feet :nuts:
I'll need to cut 2 new upright brackets and duplicate the size of the mortise and tenons that are on either end of these brackets.
Plus, I won't nail them as the factory did, but will pin them into place with a couple of Miller Dowels unless I can find regular dowel stock in a hardy outdoor wood species like White Oak, Black Locust or similar.

Leakyroof 08-21-2013 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the salt mine with the Glider Project- Started the Glue-Up after finishing a friends cabinet with him. Soon to be painted and bolted back to the main assembly.