talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Jarrah and QLD Maple Watch Collector's Box

So here is a watch collector's box. It was originally going to have a lid panel of Fiddle back Red Gum, but on discussion with my wife, I used a glass panel. So the box itself is figured Jarrah, with the dividers and lid frame made of some nicely figured QLD Maple. The finish is hard burnished Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil. The pillows are black felt and are not readily available around Melbourne, however, I intend to buy some Leatherette ones (100 x 100 mm) for this box.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-1.gif   jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-1.jpg   jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-2.jpg   jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-3.jpg   jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-4.jpg  

jarrah-qld-maple-watch-collectors-box-5.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Jarrah and QLD Maple Watch Collector's Box

Very nice, I like a bunch. Can you tell me about the hinges they look interesting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Hi Sta2lt
First, thanks for the kind words.
The hinges are quadrant hinges and, I think, add some class to an ordinary box. They are available in two types. One has a rounded end to the arms and is designed to be fitted using a router, the other has square ends (like the ones on this box) and are perfect if you want to use a chisel to pare out the rebates. The width of the arm rebate is ideally suited to a 5/16 chisel.
You can get the rounded ones much more easily than the square ones. Brusso sell them and so do some other companies. Be careful when buying them as they look better and will work properly if they are a reasonable thickness.
I get my square ones from a supplier of antique cabinet makers hardware. He sources them from England. The big catch with them (which is easy to manage) is that they have the small rail that creates the 90 degree stop. You need to dig a hole for it in the box. I use a drill press with a 2mm drill bit and hollow out the cavity with that. Works a treat and doesn't take long.

You may also want to have a look at these. They're pretty clever and special.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Rob

Rob
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanks Rob. That Smart Hinge looks great to me.

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM

That's another well made box, Rob I reckon Your wife was right to suggest a glass panel. you must be getting very well known for your box making talents?
Do you know what watches will be displayed in the box?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Hi Okami,
The box doesn't yet have a home. I intend to take it to some watch dealers and see if they think something of this ilk would sell. That said, I have two avid watch collectors I am sure will be hovering like vultures!!
In retrospect, I agree the glass was an excellent choice. The colours of the Jarrah and QLD Maple really do complement each other well and it will only get better with some time. (One of the things I like about Oil).

Regards,

Rob