talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Default The Laundry Mongrel

Hi all,

This is a rough and ready piece of work designed as storage for the Laundry. It's 1000 x 620 x 520 mm and is made from
1. Tassie Blackwood,
2 Vic Ash,
3. Douglas Fur,
4. Merbau and
5. Radiata Pine

The frame is dominoed, the sides and shelves are screwed. White paint inside. Drawer is 480 mm x 190 x 550 mm approx. Should hold most of the evil, horrid, smelly and nasties in the Laundry.

The whole beast is finished with Wipe On Poly satin.
When my Hardware and Timber suppliers sold me Poly Urethane and Pine paneling, they declared that I had sold my soul!! Not my usual choice of timber or finish. Cost me $50 in materials that I didn't already have. Took about 4 days to knock together.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
laundry-mongrel-1.jpg   laundry-mongrel-3.jpg   laundry-mongrel-5.jpg   laundry-mongrel-6.jpg   laundry-mongrel-8.jpg  

laundry-mongrel-9.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Re: The Laundry Mongrel

Looks like a great project to control the laundry nasties - good work.

At risk of offending the purists, I am becoming a big fan of wipe on poly - a little light sanding in between coats, and it produces a good finish for me, comparable to many other more expensive, laborious methods.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Nicely done, Rob
I need a laundry mongrel! It gets so humid here this time of year I need two tshirts for a days work! I need more tshirts as well I seem to be wearing them out at an alarming rate..don't make them like they used to eh
My favourite oil finish is still Liberon Finishing Oil.
For some reason, I can't buy wipe on poly here I've tried to make my own before, but wasn't happy with the results.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 AM

First coat of liberon finishing oil on a couple of door panels for my kitchen, made with low grade walnut. I have to say I like most low grade hardwoods better, it's more interesting and natural.
These will get about 6-8 coats.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 AM

That's beautiful grain resolution, Okami and I too like the natural appearance of the timber. Higher grades can tend to be homogeneous, losing the character of the wood.

Regards,

Rob