talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Default Tassie Blackwood Work Box

Another work box, but this one is Tassie Blackwood, with American Walnut inlay and tray. The top panel is Brush Box. The border is highly figured Red Gum. The shine is spectacular! The corners on this box are mitred, not dovetailed.
The Blackwood has a beautiful shimmer to it and the Brush Box gives a light pink colour. (Usually it's a greyish colour.)
The box is about 24" x 8" x 8". It's finished using hard burnished Teak Oil. Just love burnished oil finish..so cool!!

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
tassie-blackwood-work-box-1.jpg   tassie-blackwood-work-box-2.jpg   tassie-blackwood-work-box-3.jpg   tassie-blackwood-work-box-4.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Tassie Blackwood Work Box

Very nice, Rob. I like the mitered lid. Looks very functional and elegant.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Very nice indeed Rob. I'm not sure which Aussie wood I'm falling in love with more, the Red Gum or Queensland Maple. You guys get all the good stuff[along with lots of snakes and other creatures to balance it all out..]
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM

Thank you Poto and LR, it is a nice simple box and the Blackwood was just beautiful.
LR, I think it's important for you to know about QLD Maple. While Red Gum varies from dark blood red and can range up to a dark Salmon pink, the Maple can go from a light yellow down to what Brett has shown you. But the red stuff, as far as I can tell, ( and I use quite a bit) is not overly common. QLD Maple is mostly the colour of the timber in the two shots attached. (Note also that two of the boards are from the same miller as the red boards you've seen previously)
So if you're buying some, make sure you specify what the timber is to look like.
Note that the timber in the pics is quite variable in the amount of figure it has also. This is quite common with QLD Maple. Some really looks impressive.
I've attached a pic of one of my boxes with some nice QLD Maple used on the lid border to show you the figure available.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
tassie-blackwood-work-box-1.jpg   tassie-blackwood-work-box-2.jpg   tassie-blackwood-work-box-finished_2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Another work box, but this one is Tassie Blackwood, with American Walnut inlay and tray. The top panel is Brush Box. The border is highly figured Red Gum. The shine is spectacular! The corners on this box are mitred, not dovetailed.
The Blackwood has a beautiful shimmer to it and the Brush Box gives a light pink colour. (Usually it's a greyish colour.)
The box is about 24" x 8" x 8". It's finished using hard burnished Teak Oil. Just love burnished oil finish..so cool!!

Regards,

Rob
Rob,

This is definitely a beautiful box and I love the different wood that you have used. I have a question for you about the top Brush Box panel. In your second picture, it shows two light areas near the the two front corners. Is that due to some spalting, lighting or because the wood is a lighter color there and the hard burnished oil did not soak in? It also could be my monitor as the first two pictures of the QLD Maple below show up looking like purpleheart. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for posting this Rob. Really nice job.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 PM

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the kind words.
The two lighter corners are indeed where I missed oiling the panel. Curses!!
The colouring of the Maple is probably due to the lighting in my shed. But it's worth noting that there is considerable difference in colouring of QLD Maple and you should be sure that you specify what colour it is you want. The two boards on the left in pic #1 were ordered as "highly figured QLD Maple" at about the same time that the Maple Brett showed was available on our Aussie forum. I assumed I would get the same stuff, but was rather disappointed with what I got. Lesson learned.

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Rob,

This is definitely a beautiful box and I love the different wood that you have used. I have a question for you about the top Brush Box panel. In your second picture, it shows two light areas near the the two front corners. Is that due to some spalting, lighting or because the wood is a lighter color there and the hard burnished oil did not soak in? It also could be my monitor as the first two pictures of the QLD Maple below show up looking like purpleheart. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for posting this Rob. Really nice job.

Fred
Fred, it looks fairly 'Barney/Purpleheart ' to me too
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the kind words.
The two lighter corners are indeed where I missed oiling the panel. Curses!!
The colouring of the Maple is probably due to the lighting in my shed. But it's worth noting that there is considerable difference in colouring of QLD Maple and you should be sure that you specify what colour it is you want. The two boards on the left in pic #1 were ordered as "highly figured QLD Maple" at about the same time that the Maple Brett showed was available on our Aussie forum. I assumed I would get the same stuff, but was rather disappointed with what I got. Lesson learned.

Regards,

Rob
I am sorry to hear that you missed the corners and even more sorry that I highlighted it for you unless you still have it and are able to touch it up. I do love the great woods that you have access to "Down Under" I am not sure that I would want to have to sharpen my blades as much as you do but I would be okay trying.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Fred, it looks fairly 'Barney/Purpleheart ' to me too

Callan,

Thank you as that makes me feel a bit better about my monitor. That Barney/Purpleheart color is exactly what I too show. Or, both of our monitor's suck.

Fred