talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Outdoor Table Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
After seeing this posting, I am getting angry at myself for repeatedly walking past a discarded solid oak table around the corner. I am sure that it would have cleaned up very nicely.

Charles
Now now Charles, think of how many MDF based pieces I ignored in local alleys and out on curbs before THIS table came along. It's a rare find. Esp. when most of the time what we see is IKEA type stuff that's failed with use or is no longer wanted.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 05-08-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
After seeing this posting, I am getting angry at myself for repeatedly walking past a discarded solid oak table around the corner. I am sure that it would have cleaned up very nicely.

Charles
Collecting tools is a noble pursuit, but be careful that you don't start collecting abandoned furniture that you mean to clean up some day. Don't ask me how I know this....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Hmm, interesting thought, and one I hadn't considered . I have one board of 5/4 Teak, it's both harder and heavier than a few of the curved segments. And those segments are 1 3/4" thick, even with a groove or two cut into them. Could Plantation Teak be THAT much lighter?
What ever wood it is, it really seems to be rot resistant for what it was put through.
If I was a betting man, I'd bet on plantation Teak.
Plantation teak is very common these days for garden furniture. Most stores selling this type of furniture use it. I was in my local home store yesterday, and they had a few plantation teak garden sets that looked like your table. I also have a very small piece of old growth teak in my shop, and they look nothing alike. Saying that, I hear the plantation stuff still holds up very well to the elements.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Collecting tools is a noble pursuit, but be careful that you don't start collecting abandoned furniture that you mean to clean up some day. Don't ask me how I know this....
Oh, I know THIS too well. All too well . Saved a relatives table for 2 DECADES. Tossed it out a few months ago.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
If I was a betting man, I'd bet on plantation Teak.
Plantation teak is very common these days for garden furniture. Most stores selling this type of furniture use it. I was in my local home store yesterday, and they had a few plantation teak garden sets that looked like your table. I also have a very small piece of old growth teak in my shop, and they look nothing alike. Saying that, I hear the plantation stuff still holds up very well to the elements.
That could well be it Okami. We would need the services of a R. Bruce Hoadley type to easily determine what species it really is.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM

After 2 different brown stains applied to the repair and the segment itself, I'm leaving it alone . Anddd, probably going to route or cut out the poly glue seams a bit on the top and sides of the whole table top to create a groove or trench to apply the boating caulk to...
Hmm, we CAN make things more complicated, can't we.....
Attached Thumbnails
outdoor-table-rescue-image.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 05-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM

I'm not in love with the glue seams either, nevertheless, I am quite amazed after seeing the before shot that it looks like this now. That's impressive.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Since "we can make thing more complicated that they are", why not route the glue out and insert a wedge of contrasting color wood.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4som View Post
Since "we can make thing more complicated that they are", why not route the glue out and insert a wedge of contrasting color wood.
Well , you've got the end grain of the curved segments then butted up against the side grain or face grain of another species, outdoors no less. Not sure I want to see where that ends up, since it's not like decking in a boat where you could have Holly running alongside a different wood like Mahogany, BUT, the same grain at least. I've heard that the tiny strips of the Holly can raise up or lower more than the Mahogany, giving you ripples.
I'm going with the Black Boat Deck Caulking look, and will post pictures of the top once I'm done tonight.
I'm using one of my Japanese Saws to cut the grooves out, and any tight spots will be handled by my Dremel Tool.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 AM

Off white Poly Glue is gone. Boat Caulk took its place. Went pretty much as planned.
Attached Thumbnails
outdoor-table-rescue-image.jpg