talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Outdoor Table Rescue

That table was a real score! I wish people around here threw out such nice stuff. You did an amazing job of cleaning it up - looks great!

Any chance they threw out some chairs?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That table was a real score! I wish people around here threw out such nice stuff. You did an amazing job of cleaning it up - looks great!

Any chance they threw out some chairs?
Thanks for the praise..
No chairs, but the season is young. You never know what could end up curbside.
If I had waited one more day to decide if I was bringing the table home, it would have been picked up the next morning by the trash truck

Last edited by Leakyroof; 05-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Great find! What kind of woods is that? Teak? Are you happy with the glue you used? It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the glue is visible. Just wondering if Titebond 3 dark might have hidden better.
There's a very good article in the current FWW (May/June 2013) about what kind of woods are best for outdoors. Hank Gilpin is the author and prefers to use no finish on the outdoor projects he makes. He's pictured sitting in a chair that looks 1000 times worse that what your table looked like when you started. I'm with you I power wash my furniture then sand and seal every year or two.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM

It does not appear to be Teak. Way too light, not oily, and the grain doesn't match any Teak or Teak substitute that I've seen.
I actually am ok with the glue line as it reminds me of Holly Strips next to Mahogany like in Boat Building. There was a gap on all the pieces from weathering, so I used the expanding foam action of the poly glue to fill whatever wasn't wood on wood. The tenons were all tight however, so that's where the main strength is, as the gap filled foam has no strength at all when using these Poly type glues.
If I get tired of it, Plan B is to route or cut out some of that foam and put Boat Caulk in its place. Black Caulking from Jamestown Distributors. I have a tube already that I had bought for another project.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Could be cedar or cypress
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Could be cedar or cypress
No, I know those wood species pretty well. The table is made of a hardwood, the grain and color resemble Bocote a bit. Not a dense wood, not heavy like some Tropical Species.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM

First Coat of Rapid Clear, and some eye tricking of the orangish Mahogany.
Black Sharpie and some Dark Walnut Stain to blend in. Will tweak the finish repair tomorrow once the stain dries
Attached Thumbnails
outdoor-table-rescue-image.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM

After seeing this posting, I am getting angry at myself for repeatedly walking past a discarded solid oak table around the corner. I am sure that it would have cleaned up very nicely.

Charles
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM

That wood does look a bit like plantation teak. It's grown at speed and can have a little less density compared with old growth teak.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That wood does look a bit like plantation teak. It's grown at speed and can have a little less density compared with old growth teak.
Hmm, interesting thought, and one I hadn't considered . I have one board of 5/4 Teak, it's both harder and heavier than a few of the curved segments. And those segments are 1 3/4" thick, even with a groove or two cut into them. Could Plantation Teak be THAT much lighter?
What ever wood it is, it really seems to be rot resistant for what it was put through.