talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Spalted African Rosewood storage box.

Greetings compatriots,

I made this a while ago, but can't remember if I posted it or not. I only wanted to show what is a one in a life time piece of timber. If you look at pic 2, you can see the very fine black spalting like veins in the wood. The top panel is a piece of normal African Rosewood. Finish is burnished Scan. Oil. Oh and the colour hasn't oxidized at all!!
Won't see one of these again.
I gave it to a friend who has it sitting in the Family Room full of old family snaps. I still have another piece of the Rosewood, about 2 metres x 140mm x 12mm. Which means you might see one more!

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-sarb_1.jpg   spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-sarb_2.jpg   spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-sarb_3.jpg   spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-sarb_4.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Spalted African Rosewood storage box.

That's a fine looking box, Rob
I do like that you haven't been afraid to use the sapwood to reveal the spalting.
African rosewood can be a broad term, as I believe there are several woods that fit into that bracket and I'm never sure exactly what is classed as a true African rosewood? Bubinga is often referred to as a type of African rose wood.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 AM

Hi Okami,
Thank you!
This Rosewood is Padauk. Pterocarpus soyauxii.

Usually it tones down after being worked to a plum colour. But under the oil, the colour hasn't changed at all. It's still a beautiful blood red.

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Hi Rob

How hard do you find the Padauk? I have a couple of pieces only big enough for a couple of smoothers, and I find it quite soft (so I do not know whether it is worth the effort) - but I may be comparing it unfairly against West Australian hardwoods.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 PM

If you take the Janka scale as a guide:
Jarrah= 1910
Padauk=1725
Bubinga=1980
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Hi Derek,
Following on from Okami, I don't find it that hard to work or to finish. If I were going to use a "Rosewood", it would probably be Burmese Padauk (Pterocarpus Macrocarpus) . It is also, I think, a nicer timber to look at. Though not as startling!
Here's some pics of a box I made from Burmese Padauk a few years ago. It tips the Janka Scale at 2170.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-bb_1.jpg   spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-bb_2.jpg   spalted-african-rosewood-storage-box-bb_4.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 05-04-2013 at 10:05 PM.