talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Default Source for Roubo top...

Wish I'd known about this a few months ago. I paid almost as much for material alone. Could have saved a bunch of time and effort...

Roubo Workbench Top

Here is a video on making the top.

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Source for Roubo top...

Figuring that the shipping would be considerable, would you still think it's worth it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Just had that convo. That two feet of top plus shipping costs as much as all the material in my bench - top, legs, cabinetry.
Time is a legit concern. If you have any to spare, then by all means DIY, I'd think.
I have to think if you knew any cabinet shops, the glue up on a top like that is not particularly labor intensive, they're buying material at wholesale, they have the wide belt already, I don't know what someone else would charge but it seems like you could get it local, not pay the freight, and not only come in cheaper, but get it "your way" - whatever dimension you like.
I traded running mine through the wide belt for helping him deliver 3 huge built ins. I have the bed space in the truck, and I was out less than 2 hours. And some sweat.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Figuring that the shipping would be considerable, would you still think it's worth it?
The 72" x 24" would be $1062 shipped (my top is 72x28). I paid about that, maybe a little more for all the maple in my bench. So if you roughly halve that for the top (I'm guessing)... your paying around $500 more for the top to have someone else shop for and pick through the material, rip it, joint it, glue it, thickness it, sand it, prepare it for shipping, ship right to my door. I would have gladly pulled out the plastic.

On the other hand, as much as I had a bee in my bonnet to build another bench, a few weeks after I finished mine I find this. Had this opportunity come up before I started my build I would have bought it.

~