talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Printer Stand

Several months ago, my friend Skip found out I am a woodworker and gave me a pile of old pine boards to build a printer stand for him. I took my time evaluating the material and let the wood tell me what I could make.
Attached Thumbnails
printer-stand-image.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Printer Stand

I made some progress, stretching the width of a few boards, even one the was already 17" wide. I used 6mm dominos to assemble the carcass. The shelves were not flat, so the dilemma was how to accurately locate the tenons. I solved this by placing a sheet of melamine board on the bottom of the shelf and referencing those mortises off that. I did it from the bottom so that the off-center holes would have the thicker material over them, theoretically making the shelf able to support more weight. I then used that same marked sheet of melamine to cut the mortises on the sides. Worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
printer-stand-image.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I finished the cabinet last weekend and delivered it to Skip. He & his wife Winnie were very happy with the result! I'll have to go back & take some pictures of it in place when I need a glass of wine.

For the final finish I used Minwax natural stain and Deft satin brushing lacquer.
Attached Thumbnails
printer-stand-image.jpg  

Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Pretty!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Great Work Alex. I really like the finish. That suits the old pine so well.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

I left as much of the original finish and patina intact as possible. When I stretched the board widths, I used material that matched as closely as possible. The few raw edges that were on the ends of the top and the sides of the face frame, I was able to stain with Minwax natural to match. I used Deft satin brushing lacquer to put a new top coat on the whole cabinet.

Even though I used dominos to fasten the interior shelves, I put 4 old cut nails through the sides to anchor each side just for fun. I was a really fun project, especially as it came together in the final assembly. My friend Skip actually wanted to pay me, even after he gave me some jackets, luggage, backpack and a bottle of wine for my efforts.