talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM

Default I have almost finished my first design/build project

Procrastination is one of my defining characteristics. As an example, let me introduce you to my first design project. It was begun in either 1962 or 1963, (I was 12 or 13 at the time), and almost completed yesterday!

Back in 1962/63 I had the opportunity to design and build an object of my own choosing. The materials available were somewhat limited, and this is what I came up with using 3/8" plywood.

The box is finger-jointed on the sides and bottom. The finger joints were cut by bandsaw and jigsaw, cleaned up with file and sandpaper. I hadn't yet learned about chisels or routers or dovetails.

The sides and edges were smoothed on a disk sander. I probably didn't get above 100 grit for finish sanding. The gaps were filled with putty, the whole thing stained and somehow varnished.

The hinges to attach the lid were finally installed yesterday. (I procrastinated a bit on getting the hinges attached.) For 50 years, every time I looked at it (it was in a prominent location atop my dresser) I told myself that I would eventually get the top attached to the box. After 50 years, I was still talking to myself, and decided that something had to be done about it.

After 50 years, the wood was somewhat brittle. Little chunks fell off when the hinges were finally installed. Also, the center section of the 3-ply plywood was hard as a rock, and wouldn't accept screws where I tried to put them, so the lid is a little off center.

Amazingly, it has held together for the last 50 years, traveling to Minnesota and back to the East Coast, and it is almost 'done'! Now, I have to fill in those chunks that blew out when I put the hinges on, and try to match the old finish. And, it is just a little out of square. And those sanding marks from the 100 grit disk sander are noticeable when you look at it from just the right angle....

I'm just not sure when I am going to get around to actually finishing it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Default Re: I have almost finished my first design/build project

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post

Procrastination is one of my defining characteristics ...
Charles, I've been known to procrastinate a little myself, but I now must bow to the master.

(Pretty nice work, for a twelve year old )

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Now Charles, stop and think about this. If you actually finish this project, you may make many of us look bad!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Hi Charles,

Stunning design, beautiful Plywood.

Perhaps you could have procrastinated a little longer. Ah, but you can worry about that later!

Rob
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Now Charles, stop and think about this. If you actually finish this project, you may make many of us look bad!
I certainly wouldn't want that to happen. Okay, I'll compromise. I won't try to finish it until 2062.

Charles
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Charles, that is an historic piece; it was made when 3\8" MEANT 3\8"! However, many modern fillers have been invented since 1962 that can be stained, but if you're going to put poly on it for a finish coat, I'd recommend window glazing compound with stain mixed in.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM

I find it really cool that you still have this. Thank you for making my production schedule look quick!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post

... I won't try to finish it until 2062.
That's the same year I plan to have my shop finished. Charles, we'll both have to move a little faster to make the deadline.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 PM

I would offer to help, but my honey-do list is pretty full for that time.