talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Humidor

Here's a humidor I just finished for a colleague at work who's retiring after 42 years. Cherry with ambrosia maple top.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Humidor

Great joinery - I love the figuring in the maple - what finish did you use?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM

I used 3 coats of Bush oil. I wasn't happy with the luster. IMHO humidors should be somewhat shiny. I let that cure a week then hit it with 5 coats of wipe on poly. An HVLP is on my wish list. Thanks Paul!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Geez, Jim, the fit and finish on that is simply beautiful. Very high end.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful, Jim (and nice to see you posting again!). I have to say that I think that the plaque inside is a little ironic: Good Health, Good Smokes. Hmmm

But I love the box. Just gorgeous! He'll be very pleased.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM

I shouldda known you'd see irony in that, Peter I shouldda said: Good "Mental" Health. Only one who smokes primos can understand that. It's not that I haven't been posting, it's that I haven't been producing anything! I'm back in the shop now, though. I'm also doing a major bathroom remodel in my house once the snow melts. I'm sure I'll be working in some new Festools into that one.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM

I think it looks great the way it is. I'd vote against a film forming finish. Humidors are supposed to be humid; humidity and finishes rarely work together. Your work will fare better and longer if you let it "breathe", so to speak.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post

... I'm also doing a major bathroom remodel in my house once the snow melts. I'm sure I'll be working in some new Festools into that one.
To me, that sounds like plenty of justification for a nice new Planex.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM

The pictures shown are with 5 coats of wipe on poly. It's finished. Sorry, Randy, I wasn't clear. I'm kind of interested to see how the joinery holds up. Most humidors are made with plywood boxes and veneers...with good reason. I've made a solid cherry one before with miters, no splines, that blew apart. I've never made one with dovetails before. This one I was careful to sealcoat the inside (under cedar), I even sealed the inside corners with silicone caulk. I also allow for plenty of room for the cedar to expand and contract.

I've heard mixed theories on why spanish cedar is used in cigar boxes and humidors. Some say it's just a wood that was readily available and cheap, that it does nothing to preserve the cigars. It's just become tradition. But after working with it, my guess is that it holds and releases a great deal of moisture. When I was planing it, I don't have a dust chute on my planer and the chips were so dry they stuck to everything they landed on vertically and horizontally, like styrofoam peanuts. I had to vacuum the entire outside of my planer and stand.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 AM

It looks beautiful, Jim!
"Good health Good smokes"
What type of cigars are they?