talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Spalted Hackberry Hollow Vase

Ladies & Germs,

Last week I was lucky enough to see and purchase the beautiful Spalted Hackberry Hollow Vase made by Sunday's birthday boy Randy Weber. The vase stands 15" high, approx 7" across at the top and 4 1/2" on the bottom. The top opening is 2 3/4" across. It is incredibly light yet very sturdy. Mostly however, it is just stunningly beautiful and I am really proud to own it. Thank you Randy.

I am putting up 10 pictures here and five more on my second post. I hope that you enjoy them.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-009.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-015.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-010.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-016.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-011.jpg  

spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-029.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-030.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-031.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-032.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-033.jpg  

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Spalted Hackberry Hollow Vase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Ladies & Germs,

Last week I was lucky enough to see and purchase the beautiful Spalted Hackberry Hollow Vase made by Sunday's birthday boy Randy Weber. :clapp ing1: The vase stands 15" high, approx 7" across at the top and 4 1/2" on the bottom. The top opening is 2 3/4" across. It is incredibly light yet very sturdy. Mostly however, it is just stunningly beautiful and I am really proud to own it. Thank you Randy.

I am putting up 10 pictures here and five more on my second post. I hope that you enjoy them.

Fred
As promised, here are the remaining five pictures.

The last picture is of a beautiful check and is one of my favorite things on the vase. That and the way Randy used the grain which I also find spectacular.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-034.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-040.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-044.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-048.jpg   spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-spalted-hackberry-hollow-vase-randy-052.jpg  

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great score, Fred! That will really class up your entertainment center!

Nice work, Randy! Did you ever take any pictures of those well-traveled burls I gave you in Covington?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 AM

That's a nice vase!
Regards,

Rob
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Truly a beautiful piece, Randy. I think it's your best yet. Your use of the grain in defining the shape was very sensitive. For a seven-foot army-boot-wearing former military police kind of guy, I mean.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 AM

Thanks for the polite commentary. Poto, I honestly agree. Best I've ever done, in even wall thickness, in reading the wood, etc. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
Alex, no, I'm pretty lousy about documenting things I make. I don't know why. I can tell you that out of those hunks I attempted to make 3 small bowls. 1 exploded, 1 is still here, and kind of a ho hum piece in execution, and one looked real good and it sold about 10 minutes after it got out into the world.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Beautiful work Randy. Now I have to read up on what the heck Hackberry is....
Durn Turners, they get itchy even around shrubs[Hey, I could turn that twig]
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Great score, Fred! That will really class up your entertainment center!

Nice work, Randy! Did you ever take any pictures of those well-traveled burls I gave you in Covington?
WW,

I am not sure what you are referring to as that vase is now my entertainment center. Unfortunately, the only thing that could possibly class up my entertainment center is the trash. I hope that this is the year of its demise.

Fred
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 AM

That's a beauty, Randy, Fred
I never learnt to turn unfortunately... The college I went to only offered it as an "extra" which meant I needed to pay-up again.
One of these days I'm gunna have a try at it. It looks so fun
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Fred showed me photos of this vase last week. I was blown away by the craftsmanship.

Of course I shouldn't be surprised, I'm looking at an incredibly beautiful pen sitting right here on my desk from the lathe of that same craftsman.