talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Spalted Hackberry Hollow Vase

Hackberry is pretty common around here. Granted, that word refers to a multitude of similar trees all in the same family, kind of like saying Oak. Nobody much cares that it was some strange variant. Oak suffices.
Hackberry gets mistaken for an Elm pretty often, especially when the leaves are down. But to me the bark has an irregularity to it that is the key, and it's one of those things where once you know what you're looking for, like an Ash, you just know it right when you see it.
The berries are in clumps, and small, hard, black. About the size you'd get off a juniper. Not aware of anyone that's ever tried eating them, of if you even could. I suspect there's some bird out there that does.
As to the wood, it is interesting in that the center or pith section is generally very dark, and the outer is light. And it seems to usually be about a 50/50 split in the log, unlike pretty much every other species where the dark core is just a tiny spot.
If you look at that vase, it was taken from a crotch. It has the darker center on both sides. The very top next to the hole there is one tiny spot that is still bark. On the bottom you can see multiple piths, one from one of the limbs, one from a smaller branch sprouting out of it. And you can see the growth rings are going away from each other.
I dig that. Tried diligently to get the darker swaths to center up and come out about even on both sides.
Edit- Guess it is not real obvious on the bottom, but it is at the top.

Last edited by RWeber; 03-23-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Hackberry is pretty common around here. Granted, that word refers to a multitude of similar trees all in the same family, kind of like saying Oak. Nobody much cares that it was some strange variant. Oak suffices.
Hackberry gets mistaken for an Elm pretty often, especially when the leaves are down. But to me the bark has an irregularity to it that is the key, and it's one of those things where once you know what you're looking for, like an Ash, you just know it right when you see it.
The berries are in clumps, and small, hard, black. About the size you'd get off a juniper. Not aware of anyone that's ever tried eating them, of if you even could. I suspect there's some bird out there that does.
As to the wood, it is interesting in that the center or pith section is generally very dark, and the outer is light. And it seems to usually be about a 50/50 split in the log, unlike pretty much every other species where the dark core is just a tiny spot.
If you look at that vase, it was taken from a crotch. It has the darker center on both sides. The very top next to the hole there is one tiny spot that is still bark. On the bottom you can see multiple piths, one from one of the limbs, one from a smaller branch sprouting out of it. And you can see the growth rings are going away from each other.
I dig that. Tried diligently to get the darker swaths to center up and come out about even on both sides.
Edit- Guess it is not real obvious on the bottom, but it is at the top.
As it turns out Hackberries are edible but not eaten very often by humans because they are so small and have a large seed inside so they are not worth the energy. They are supposed to be quite sweet. Who knew????

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

That is truly a special vase. I'm glad to see you even have a bed and pillow for it. Does it snore? or just produce crashing wave sounds at night?
Tom
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
That is truly a special vase. I'm glad to see you even have a bed and pillow for it. Does it snore? or just produce crashing wave sounds at night?
Tom
I would guess that it does in fact snore at night. Probably makes a loud sound like someone sawing wood... The question is, does this sound lull Fred to sleep at night, or awaken him from his worst nightmare -- one that includes the vase, John and three-phase?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I would guess that it does in fact snore at night. Probably makes a loud sound like someone sawing wood... The question is, does this sound lull Fred to sleep at night, or awaken him from his worst nightmare -- one that includes the vase, John and three-phase?

I would think the phrase John and three-phase would LULL Fred to sleep
As in, there's no way John can hurt himself, he doen't have power hooked up
There's no way John can hurt himself, he doesn't have power hooked up.
Snore... Sweet dreams Fred
Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Beautiful Randy!

When Sandy came through here a lot of trees fell and the tree service guys started sawing them into pieces and feeding the pieces into wood chippers. The waste of those innocent trees made me sick and I started intercepting as much as I could before it went into the chipper.

As more and more of my driveway filled with too short to use hunks of wet wood I started thinking of getting a lathe. WC had a Black Friday sale on a 12" VS Rikon for less than $250 so I ordered one and a bunch of books etc.

I love it! One of the main reasons I kept working with wood for decades was the fascinating wood grain (as exhibited so well in Randy's piece) and the most interesting patterns are in wood that isn't suitable for flat work. In fact, I think the best form for following the figure of wood is a sphere and the closest thing to a sphere that is practical is a turned hollow form.

It hasn't taken long to become frustrated with the little Rikon and this week I brought home an old Oliver 51-D. It weighs over 650 pounds, about ten times as much as the mini which can sit comfortably on the Oliver's bed between centers.

Before much longer I should have some interesting wood grain to share.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Michael!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Ditto. It's like sharing a crack habit! (So I've heard)
And I've learned enough I might actually be able to tell someone else something they don't already know. For once.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Here's a question Randy.

Where is your second choice for locating the speed control.
I'm assuming the present location (on your Powermatic) is just fine.

I'm adding a VFD (variable-frequency drive) to get 3 phase power for the Oliver and thinking of where to put it.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM

I don't have an issue with the factory location, but I agree with those (or can't find any reason to disagree with those) who prefer it away from the headstock, down by the live center. And it does make sense if your lathe is on/off. Many are not variable speed. They're low/med/high, or a speed selector switch. Last thing you want is to be anywhere near that blank if it jumps out on startup.

Now, my solution, for whatever its worth. I never use the power switch. I always use the speed control. Ergo, I never am inadvertently starting a blank at a speed that is too high. If an 80 lb blank comes loose at 75rpms, it's not going far. I'm always starting at 0 and working up to where I am comfy with the look, the sound, the vibration level, etc.