talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Re: "No Comment #2" - Full project build in one video :)

Nicely done! I just can't believe that it took you a WHOLE hour to build the table!!! You obviously need to drink more coffee and move quicker than in the video
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Wonderful video, Paul-Marcel. I was totally engaged for an hour (and I don't give up an hour lightly). You're an extremely versatile woodworker - it was fun seeing all the different tools, techniques and approaches you used in the build.

I have to say, though, that my favorite tool was the Uline tape dispenser. I need one of those!

I was thinking that you could also have benefited from a spoke shave for the legs, and perhaps a french curve or flexible curve for laying out the legs. But perhaps your legs had small-enough features that a flexible curve wouldn't have helped.

In watching you use your long rail for ripping, I was wondering why you didn't use the Festool f-clamps to hold the rail to the piece? Then you wouldn't have to take the clamps off to finish the cut. I'm always worried about the rail moving during a cut...

Really well done! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Oh - and the table is lovely! Clearly a great deal of thought went into it. It'll certainly be an eye-catcher in your house!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Talking about a spending spree, it was Paul-Marcel's influence that caused me to run out and buy the Gamble House.

BTW: Great video, Paul-Marcel, but by now I think that almost goes without saying.
Awesome! We're gonna have a great tour next time! To drive Roger nuts, though, put a sign on the front entrance "Guests are Prohibited from Laying on the Floor -- Mgmt"
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
Nicely done! I just can't believe that it took you a WHOLE hour to build the table!!! You obviously need to drink more coffee and move quicker than in the video
I kept the pace slow to show off my legs...

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM

@Paul

Slightly off topic, but did you end up buying the raid array? I am in the market for a workgroup nas and was looking at the drobo, promise, infotrend, synology and the thecus. Now, I am just leaning towards building another pc and running something with zfs.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wonderful video, Paul-Marcel. I was totally engaged for an hour (and I don't give up an hour lightly). You're an extremely versatile woodworker - it was fun seeing all the different tools, techniques and approaches you used in the build.

I have to say, though, that my favorite tool was the Uline tape dispenser. I need one of those!

I was thinking that you could also have benefited from a spoke shave for the legs, and perhaps a french curve or flexible curve for laying out the legs. But perhaps your legs had small-enough features that a flexible curve wouldn't have helped.

In watching you use your long rail for ripping, I was wondering why you didn't use the Festool f-clamps to hold the rail to the piece? Then you wouldn't have to take the clamps off to finish the cut. I'm always worried about the rail moving during a cut...

Really well done! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Oh - and the table is lovely! Clearly a great deal of thought went into it. It'll certainly be an eye-catcher in your house!
When I did a marquetry class with Paul Schürch, he had a tape dispenser that wet the tape. jezuz those are expensive (but I broke down!) With all the blue tape you use in marquetry and all I'd use in Angle Madness, I thought to get a dry dispenser. Pretty inexpensive. That one holds up to 3" of tape; it has three 3/4" wide wheels. Once you get it, you'll wonder why you didn't before. It's the heavy duty model.

I did use a spokeshave to thin the model leg. That one was done all with the rasps and spokeshave.

I didn't use the F-clamps because at first the start-end of the board was over the bench; I could scoot it down into that void between the bench and MFT, but didn't. Mostly because after the first cut, the location of the F-clamp was off the board. Putting that quick clamp on the offcut after starting the cut was to prevent it from falling. Probably looked more awkward than it was.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments; be honest, you only liked the table because it was in cherry...
Paul-Marcel