talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

This is a hall table made as a wedding present. It is 1200mm long x 290mm wide and 770mm high.
The finish is Burnished Wattyl Teak (Scandinavian) Oil. The Wenge looks like black glass!! This was the last Zebrano I could find in Melbourne. It needed work, I'm here to tell ya!
It still needs a lower shelf added, which I think will be some dark grained Tassie Blackwood or some Birds Eye Maple.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_almost_1.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_almost_2.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_almost_5.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_almost_7.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

Nice job. The bird's eye sounds like an interesting contrast. Though maybe it would detract from the top...?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM

I think you are right Bigfoot. I'm going with the Tassie Blackwood. It will not detract from the top so much. I'll post pics after I add the shelf.

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Rob,

I like how you divided the top. Was that out of necessity or by choice?

Right now, the bottom looks a little chunky to me. I'm interested to see it with the shelf in place.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Hi Flair,

Yes the bottom does look chunky. I think the large bottom rails in black make that happen, thus the need for a shelf rather than just another rail between them. The gap between the legs is 190mm and this is how wide i want the shelf to be. Depth I'm not sure of yet. I think the same depth as the top might be alittle light, but 25mm could just make the bottom look heavier.

The Zebrano I had to work with was "difficult". It was not the straightest piece. The cross bar in the top was a necessity, but having said that, I probably would have gone down that path anyway.

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 AM

Beautiful Rob. Your oil finishing is rubbing off on me(no pun intended!)
I look forward to the shelf.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM

OK, so I couldn't get Tassie Blackwood in 200mm width in the depth I wanted and Birds Eye Maple was just too much.
So I bought some Brush Box and oiled it as with the table top. These photos were taken in natural light with no flash
The timber has a nice grain pattern with a Salmon and Lemon colour to the timber itself.
I think it's pretty OK, but I'd like your opinions too.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
wenge-zebrano-hall-table-brush_box_1.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_outside_1.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_outside_2.jpg   wenge-zebrano-hall-table-table_outside_3.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM

I like it much better after you applied the oil, but it seems a bit too flat when compared to the top. Could be just the picture though
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Rob,

Design-wise, I like the addition of the shelf/stretcher. However, I'm not so sure about the colour match.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM

On reflection, neither am I. I'm going to divide it up into 4 sections with Wenge-like the top, I think. Still not sure.

Regards,

Rob