talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/5695-wenge-zebrano-hall-table.html)

Ausrob 02-23-2013 10:38 PM

Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

4 Attachment(s)
This is a hall table made as a wedding present. It is 1200mm long x 290mm wide and 770mm high.
The finish is Burnished Wattyl Teak (Scandinavian) Oil. The Wenge looks like black glass!! This was the last Zebrano I could find in Melbourne. It needed work, I'm here to tell ya!
It still needs a lower shelf added, which I think will be some dark grained Tassie Blackwood or some Birds Eye Maple.

Regards,

Rob

bigfoot 02-24-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

Nice job. The bird's eye sounds like an interesting contrast. Though maybe it would detract from the top...?

Ausrob 02-24-2013 02:24 PM

I think you are right Bigfoot. I'm going with the Tassie Blackwood. It will not detract from the top so much. I'll post pics after I add the shelf.

Regards,

Rob

FlairWoodworks 02-24-2013 07:07 PM

Rob,

I like how you divided the top. Was that out of necessity or by choice?

Right now, the bottom looks a little chunky to me. I'm interested to see it with the shelf in place.

Ausrob 02-24-2013 08:53 PM

Hi Flair,

Yes the bottom does look chunky. I think the large bottom rails in black make that happen, thus the need for a shelf rather than just another rail between them. The gap between the legs is 190mm and this is how wide i want the shelf to be. Depth I'm not sure of yet. I think the same depth as the top might be alittle light, but 25mm could just make the bottom look heavier.

The Zebrano I had to work with was "difficult". It was not the straightest piece. The cross bar in the top was a necessity, but having said that, I probably would have gone down that path anyway.

Regards,

Rob

Leakyroof 02-26-2013 02:41 AM

Beautiful Rob. Your oil finishing is rubbing off on me(no pun intended!)
I look forward to the shelf.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Ausrob 02-26-2013 07:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, so I couldn't get Tassie Blackwood in 200mm width in the depth I wanted and Birds Eye Maple was just too much.
So I bought some Brush Box and oiled it as with the table top. These photos were taken in natural light with no flash
The timber has a nice grain pattern with a Salmon and Lemon colour to the timber itself.
I think it's pretty OK, but I'd like your opinions too.

Regards,

Rob

Leakyroof 02-26-2013 05:56 PM

I like it much better after you applied the oil, but it seems a bit too flat when compared to the top. Could be just the picture though:o

FlairWoodworks 02-26-2013 06:10 PM

Rob,

Design-wise, I like the addition of the shelf/stretcher. However, I'm not so sure about the colour match.

Ausrob 02-26-2013 09:10 PM

On reflection, neither am I. I'm going to divide it up into 4 sections with Wenge-like the top, I think. Still not sure.

Regards,

Rob

Ausrob 02-27-2013 05:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So this is the table with some Blackwood that I dredged from my stocks and prepared. The border is Wenge. The finish is burnished oil. I think I'll settle for this, its what I wanted in the first place!

Regards,

Rob

FlairWoodworks 02-27-2013 06:04 AM

Rob,

That looks much better!

Ausrob 02-27-2013 06:05 AM

Thank you!:)

Rob

Leakyroof 02-27-2013 04:39 PM

Yes, that's the way to go. The two colors are in harmony and not competing with each other like with the other species you first tried.
:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Okami 02-27-2013 11:58 PM

I agree! That's much better:thumbsup2:
Is the top's panels floating? I'm curious to how you've joined it all, Rob.
Cheers!

Ausrob 02-28-2013 12:12 AM

Hi Okami,

The top panels are "floating" on dominoes. I used 5mm domi's single width cut in the panel board and double cut in the borders. For the centre, I use 5mm domi's as well. Here I cut the mortises with the centre strip clamped to one panel and then introduce the domi's through that combined mortise into the second panel and clamp the top together. Works well. The mortises are a x2 cut on each side of the strip. I have done this on box lids before to create the panel effect. There's no reason why you can't glue the strip to one of the panels here as you are allowing for movement by using a wider mortise in all three components. Panels and strip. (I guess one hopes that Wenge and Zebrano move at similar rates.) The rest of the build is just standard domino joinery.

Regards,

Rob