talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/5695-wenge-zebrano-hall-table.html)

Ausrob 02-23-2013 11:38 PM

Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

4 Attachment(s)
This is a hall table made as a wedding present. It is 1200mm long x 290mm wide and 770mm high.
The finish is Burnished Wattyl Teak (Scandinavian) Oil. The Wenge looks like black glass!! This was the last Zebrano I could find in Melbourne. It needed work, I'm here to tell ya!
It still needs a lower shelf added, which I think will be some dark grained Tassie Blackwood or some Birds Eye Maple.

Regards,

Rob

bigfoot 02-24-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Wenge and Zebrano Hall Table

Nice job. The bird's eye sounds like an interesting contrast. Though maybe it would detract from the top...?

Ausrob 02-24-2013 03:24 PM

I think you are right Bigfoot. I'm going with the Tassie Blackwood. It will not detract from the top so much. I'll post pics after I add the shelf.

Regards,

Rob

FlairWoodworks 02-24-2013 08:07 PM

Rob,

I like how you divided the top. Was that out of necessity or by choice?

Right now, the bottom looks a little chunky to me. I'm interested to see it with the shelf in place.

Ausrob 02-24-2013 09:53 PM

Hi Flair,

Yes the bottom does look chunky. I think the large bottom rails in black make that happen, thus the need for a shelf rather than just another rail between them. The gap between the legs is 190mm and this is how wide i want the shelf to be. Depth I'm not sure of yet. I think the same depth as the top might be alittle light, but 25mm could just make the bottom look heavier.

The Zebrano I had to work with was "difficult". It was not the straightest piece. The cross bar in the top was a necessity, but having said that, I probably would have gone down that path anyway.

Regards,

Rob

Leakyroof 02-26-2013 03:41 AM

Beautiful Rob. Your oil finishing is rubbing off on me(no pun intended!)
I look forward to the shelf.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Ausrob 02-26-2013 08:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, so I couldn't get Tassie Blackwood in 200mm width in the depth I wanted and Birds Eye Maple was just too much.
So I bought some Brush Box and oiled it as with the table top. These photos were taken in natural light with no flash
The timber has a nice grain pattern with a Salmon and Lemon colour to the timber itself.
I think it's pretty OK, but I'd like your opinions too.

Regards,

Rob

Leakyroof 02-26-2013 06:56 PM

I like it much better after you applied the oil, but it seems a bit too flat when compared to the top. Could be just the picture though:o

FlairWoodworks 02-26-2013 07:10 PM

Rob,

Design-wise, I like the addition of the shelf/stretcher. However, I'm not so sure about the colour match.

Ausrob 02-26-2013 10:10 PM

On reflection, neither am I. I'm going to divide it up into 4 sections with Wenge-like the top, I think. Still not sure.

Regards,

Rob