talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Default Hybrid Roubo Build...

Okay I've gotten far enough along to post some pics of this monster.

I'm following the design John Tetreault built for FWW Magazine a few months back. It was actually featured on the cover of the Workbench issue, but alas... not in the issue... huh?! I looked through the magazine a half dozen times looking for his bench. I finally found a small blip that says its a FFW extra you can download online. Those dirty rotten scoundrels! So I did. The video and plans.

I love the look of the chunky, timber framed joinery and the knee brace. He made his with a maple top and recycled chestnut for the legs. I'm making mine with maple for everything. In the video he picks up the chestnut legs with one hand. That should have been a clue as to why he used chestnut. I need both hands and a back brace to pick up one of my maple legs. Note to self... next time use poplar!!!! The other thing I noticed in the video is how his chisel goes through the chestnut much easier than hard maple.

I'll be using a different vise setup than John did. He used a Lie-Nielsen chain vise for the front and an end vise. I'll be building a front vise with a wood screw from Lake Erie. Right now its looking like the one they use on the Nicholson benches at Colonial Williamsburg. And eventually a High Vise on the backside like Jameel features here with his new Criss Cross.

Sorry, I got lazy and used my iPhone for all these shots so there are a few blurry takes. When its time for the glam shots I'll get the tripod and Nikon out...

Believe it or not, there is a bench in here somewhere...

Sizing things up...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hybrid Roubo Build...

Ooooo! This is going to be fun!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM

Started with the top. Here are the 8/4 x 4 strips. After final dimensioning its more like 3 3/4" thick...

Rips all done. The top is around 26" wide...

Dominos to index the top. This worked out extremely well. There will be very little flattening to do...

Getting ready for glue up. I have a straightedge bolted to the workbench that I clamped the glue ups to. I taped the inside of the straightedge so things didn't get stuck to it and the bench is melamine so its no problem leaving things overnight. Nothing sticks to it. I made the top in four sections, then two and finally one...

Here are the four sections after glue up. Believe me, those horses are screaming...

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 AM

Glue ups going on here for the stretchers, legs and rails I believe. Notice how things are clamped to the straightedge...

Here we have the legs all glued up. (almost done with saying "glue up")...

I weighed all the parts on the bathroom scale. Right around 400lbs...

Oh, and look what the brown truck brought...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 01-17-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 AM

Cutting the dovetailed tenons on the strechers. I cut the shoulder with the hand saw and the cheeks on the bandsaw...

I used the cheek cutoff as a guide to set the drill press table on the angle needed to make the mortises in the legs. I used a Wixey angle gauge (great little asset) to set the angle after I zeroed it out. I hogged out the mortise with a forester bit and the next week (kidding... almost) to clean it up with a chisel...

In hindsight I probably could have used the mortiser for this and saved myself some chiseling, but it would have meant a lot of table manipulation. More so than the drill press. The mortiser only tilts one way, the drill press two ways. Once I set the fence on the drill press it was a matter of flipping the piece over etc. With the mortiser... a lot of in and out on the table because of the oneway tilt. If I factored in the extra time and effort chiseling might have been worth it...???

Next step was to cut the angle for the slope of the dovetail...

And then chisel away for an eternity...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 01-17-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM

Now comes play time. Fitting the pieces together. I tried a few of the new toys out just to see who shines where. The rabbeting block plane works great here until you have to get in tight to the shoulder. Then you start to skin your knuckles. For kicks I pulled out the scraper plane. It works great for fine tuning things. But the real champ here is the bench rabbet plane. Being able to angle the tote and knob out of the way is just too easy. Just clamp the workpiece down and go to town. In seconds your done. Here they are in order...

Getting there...

Here I have the wedge shaped and nicely fit. Still a little more tweaking to do on the joint...

Next up... Lots more mortises and tenons, wedges and stuff. See you tomorrow.

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 01-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM

On to the lower rails. I've drilled out the center and made the shoulder cuts...

Then I cut the tenons on the bandsaw along with tapered cuts for the wedges. A relief hole is drilled at the end of the wedge cut so it doesn't split when driven in...

~
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM

I laid the rails along side the legs for marking the mortises rather than trust measuring. Then it was on to the mortiser...

I used a 9/16" chisel that overlapped nicely to make the 1" mortise. With the layout lines it was a simple matter of sneaking up on them. The left to right and in & out adjustments with the table make this chore painless...

And the mess...

On to the fitting stage...

~
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

With the lower rails & stretchers made, it was time to dry fit a few things...

Not too shabby...

With the leg parts assembled I put the upper rails in place, cut to length and laid out for the M & T's. You'll notice I have temporary spacers against the top to keep the legs in place while clamping and marking things...

Same process as the lower rails, only these are not through mortises. They only go in 2" and will be pinned. They essentially provide an attachment point to the top with lag bolts...

~
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Top mortises & leg tenons.

Shoulder cuts, then the cheeks zipped off at the bandsaw...

Here is my version of the MFS...

I used a 1/2" up cut spiral bit...

~