talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Hybrid Roubo Build...

Beautiful work. Especially given your speed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Beautiful build, Bigfoot! I think you missed your big chance to justify a DF700 Domino for the massive tenons that would be required for those knee braces.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Beautiful build, Bigfoot! I think you missed your big chance to justify a DF700 Domino for the massive tenons that would be required for those knee braces.

Thanks guys. Don't think the DF700 didn't cross my mind... if only for a fleeting moment. LOL!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 AM

So, because of the knee braces and the leg joinery, I had limited options on a vise. My original plan was a leg vise using Benchcrafted's new Crisscross. In fact, I had already ordered and taken delivery of one. But in order to use the Crisscross I would have had to mortise right up to the dovetail tenon that passes through the leg. I also would have had to make the through tenons from the rails flush on the legs. Rather than compromise all the aesthetic things I liked about the bench, I had to come up with something else.

The plans called for Lie-Nielsen's chain drive front vise which didn't interest me. I always liked the looks of the big wooden screw setups with little or no visible hardware. Something about the two locking nuts exposed on that vise bother me visually.

I had two designs which caught my eye. Both are from "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis. One is on pages 126-127... its a front vise design with the wooden screw in the center with two guide rails on either side. The other one is one page 47... it is a smaller (in width) front vise where the screw passes through the center of a box beam. I chose to work off this one. If it didn't work I'd go to plan "B".

I prototyped the box and beam parts (from the line drawing in the book), out of plywood. Getting halfway through it I could see it wasn't going to work. Something about the scale of that drawing was off. The other thing I would have to do is cut the wood nut to fit in a dado of the box. Didn't want to do that in case it was a bust and I had to use a full size nut in another design. So I went with what I thought might work instead.

Off and running we go...

Using maple for everything, here I'm starting the inside beam. In my mind, I'm still prototyping this. I really didn't know if this would work or snap into a dozen pieces the first time I clamped something! I used Dominos everywhere on this thing for strength...

~
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 AM

Here is the beam in the box with the nut clamped behind it. I'm actually just staring at it here thinking of all the forces that will be on it and where... mechanical engineering really isn't my thing.

Working the chop smooth after glue up...

Installing the wood screw with garter...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 01-28-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 AM

I have all the pieces in place. Looks like it should work. I still have doubts.

The example in the book wasn't really clear on how the beam is attached to the chop. When in doubt... Domino! Hey, if it breaks I'll figure something else out...

Clamping the beam to the chop during glue up...

Gluing on mounting cleats to the box. Yup, there are Dominos in there...

~
Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 AM

Well, here she is. The box gets bolted up to the underside of the bench with 5/16" Spax screws. Then you just slide the vise assembly into the box and engage the nut. So far no creaks or cracks. In fact, its smooth as butter. No wobbles or noises. It seems to just work!

Without any suede on the chop yet, it still has plenty of gripping power. I couldn't pull anything out...

Couple of thoughts...

I guess most front vices are mounted at the end of the bench. You'll notice I had to mount this to the inside of the leg because of the knee braces. I find this actually works better for me. Its right to the left of where I'm working most of the time and leaves plenty of clamping surface on the end of the bench. If for whatever reason its in my way, I simple unscrew it in seconds.

Couple more shots...

Next up is drilling holes for the holdfasts... which I'm having a hard time bringing myself to do.

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 01-28-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM

That really looks great. And you really work fast!

neil
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

That's really cool, Bigfoot! Very impressive how you pulled such an elegant solution together. It looks great on your bench, and I'm sure it works like anything!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM

I finalized a few things on the vise that were cobbled together until I knew the vise would work.

I secured the wooden nut with Spax screws but left them a little lose so the nut just kind of floats slightly. This is to allow for seasonal changes.

I routed an arc to the face of the chop to break up the squareness for aesthetics sake. Also added suede to the inside.

As front vises go, its a little unorthodox compared to whats being used these days, but its buttery smooth, holds things from the top and sides extremely well and the screw is completely protected. Its a self contained unit that can removed, or positioned elsewhere on the bench simply with just four Spax screws.

Here's a few more pics of the vise so you can get a better idea of how it works...

~