talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 AM

Default "Travelling Perfumery"

So... I have the contract to make a travelling Perfumery. This will contain various essences and will be taken by the perfume maker to client's sites, where a unique perfume for that client. The picture below shows the basic plan. There are four separate compartments, joined together with barrel hinges. These will fold together to form a neat unit.
There's no getting away from the fact that it's going to be a heavy beast, but it will look beautiful in Wenge and Birds eye Maple, finished with burnished Tung Oil.
So...let the games begin. (Oh, they want it in two weeks)
Attached Thumbnails
travelling-perfumery-perfumery_1.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 01-17-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Re: "Travelling Perfumery"

And so it begins.
I have spent the first week making a mock up and making the various components need for the four "boxes". This is like making a set of Dolls' House furniture, such are the dimensions.
I have used the Domino to create 4mm slots in the frames to accommodate the rails and "shelves" for the dropper bottles and have used a router and chisel to complete the rebate for the rear panels.
so I have now constructed a dry assembly of the first compartment. The rest should follow pretty easily now. Should be finished by Sat.2 Feb. Oh and it shouldn't be that heavy!

Pic 1: The Wenge and Birdseye Maple (BEM) frames, with the small rails and shelves for the compartments.
Pic 2: The BEM back panels.
Pic 3; The finger joints showing the routed rebate, waiting for the final paring to square it up.
Pic 4: The dry knock up of the first compartment.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
travelling-perfumery-componenets_1.jpg   travelling-perfumery-back_panels_1.jpg   travelling-perfumery-finger_joint_and_routed_bac.jpg   travelling-perfumery-first_panel_1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 AM

Sorry all, this has been a very steep learning exercise in how to make world class Dolls houses and furniture. I haven't had time to take many pics, so I'll just post the finished project when, and if, I finish it!!

Rowbear
Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 PM

I am sure that it will be spectacular! Working with thin materials takes a different mindset, and adjustments to work methods. On the plus side, you can fit a lot more finished projects into a normal living space.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Charles
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM

The units are now almost finished. The two outer ones have little drawers to store pipettes and such, the outer two have a pull down "door" to allow larger bottles to be stored.
There is a compartment, which is not obvious, which lies between the front of each panel and the front of the shelves, which allows literature to be stored.
The pics here show the four units standing together, then folded once, then folded back again to show how they would travel.
Still need to make the base and tidy up some loose ends. Also add the hinges and locks.
I bought good quality Cabinet Makers locks from www.gbrownantiques.com.au/pdfs/Liberon wholesale pricelist.pdf. They are much stronger than other box locks I have looked at and will need to be robust as the unit will be travelling frequently.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
travelling-perfumery-unit_wide_open.jpg   travelling-perfumery-unit_half_closed.jpg   travelling-perfumery-unit_fully_closed_left.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 PM

Truly stunning! Keep the photos coming. Once you deliver it, I am sure it will be doing a lot of travelling.

I am curious about the total weight, and whether you plan on having handle(s) to carry it with.

Charles
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM

Unfortunately, I have withdrawn from the Perfumery project. The client kept changing the specs and the final straw was asking me to paint, yes that's PAINT, the Birds Eye Maple silver!!!!!
I told them I was no longer interested. Sorry folks.

Charles, it was going to be heavy. How heavy I don't know, but when full of bottles of liquid, I doubt that a man could carry it. It was to have a leather belt around it and leather handles for carrying it.

Last edited by Ausrob; 02-26-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Maybe it's just as well since it seems like the client hadn't really thought it through. I think you're right to cut your losses now while you still have some nice cabinets.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Paint birds eye maple?

He should have just had you build it out of birch plywood.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959