talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 AM

Default Started a project...

Figured I'd I give a you a little teaser...

Going to try the Hybrid Roubo FWW featured on the cover of their "Benches" issue a few months ago. Haven't decided on vise arrangement yet.

It features a lot of timber framing joints along with knee braces on either end. Of course I have to make things harder on myself by building it entirely out of hard maple. All four hundred pounds of it. Not quite the same as carving these joints in pine. A workout to be sure.

I'll probably start a build thread when I'm much further along. This is all I have for now.

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-23-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Started a project...

Nice, Bigfoot! That's a great-looking joint! Unfortunately your first two images seem to have disappeared, but the last two look great. Don't you love your new LN rabbet block plane? It's wonderful for cheek clean-up.

Looking forward to more pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 AM

Thanks Pete. Try to refresh again. Photobucket is acting strange tonight. I pasted the links again. I'm seeing them, don't know if everyone else is.

Yes, the rabbet plane was a smart choice. I'm thinking about getting the low angle rabbet plan too. This little one was a tough with the high shoulder.

Kerry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Yep - I can see all the pictures now, Bigfoot. Cool! Where'd ya buy the wooden screw vise from?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looks like that Erie Tools vise we saw at WIA. I talked to that guy and he designed the tooling to cut the inside threads. Really nice guy.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Yup, Lake Erie. Quality is something else. Could be framed and hung as artwork.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 PM

That's good to hear. I totally missed them at WIA, but want to retro one of theirs into an older bench. Positive feedback moves that thought up the list a little.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM

This looks like a great project. I'll be watching with envy, and one day, I'll build a new bench too. Isn't this your second bench in as many years?
Great fun Bigfoot! Also, I went to your jackmiter.com site. Nice!
Cricket
Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM

The Lake Erie screw is incredible. I'm probably going to order another. I'm thinking of building an old school face vise for the business side of things and the "high vise" Jameel features on his new crisscross page to be used on the back side. I have the crisscross already but I had already started with these plans and the joinery would be a challenge to incorporate the crisscross in the leg. So between the face vise, high vise and moxon table I think I'll be good.

Cricket, I moved the Shaker bench into the basement shop. It was a little too big and just too nice to mess up. Every time I went to do some chopping, sanding or painting I'd cover it up with luan. My wife says it makes a great table for wrapping presents. This new one is only 72" x 28", no frills and will be abused... maybe.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
This new one is only 72" x 28", no frills and will be abused... maybe.
And if you can't bring yourself to chop on that one, there's the next one to look forward to!