talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Sinker Cypress Toy Box

Hi folks,
Some of my clients are long term, doing a room or an elevation at a time. The Black Ash kitchen people are like that, and we have continued to add elements as time and $ allow. We recently made a toy box for their toddler, though it will be a while before she is able to appreciate the spare modernism of the design (architect designed, not by me). We echoed shapes and hue from the kitchen area, and incorporated a wall in the design of the piece. The first couple of pics are of the finished piece, and there are some construction shots after.

There are 3 drawers in the front section, with routed pulls underneath. The section that wraps around the wall is dead space, not accessible. We made a template of the corner, after demoing the existing cabinet...

...and back at the shop, laid the template down and traced it onto a panel to establish the cabinet's plan view, and built right up from there.

The drawer cabinet is just made from pre-fin maple, with regular dovetail drawers on blum slides. All of the exterior surface below the counter is made from sinker cypress veneer on mdf, vacuum bagged. The sinker cypress is from old (or ancient?) logs pulled up from the bottom of the swamp, and sliced up.

Continued on next post...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Sinker Cypress Toy Box

A closeup of the veneer.

We mitered the veneered panels around the inoperable parts, and cut the drawer fronts to fit the drawers.

The counter is made from the same heart pine that we had left over from the kitchen. We resawed three of the remaining boards to complete the wrap around top.

Cricket

Last edited by Cricket; 12-18-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM

Wonderful design and execution.

Are there drawers or doors that open? Not clear from the pictures.

Love the Cypress. First time I have seen it stained dark, and it really looks great!

neil
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 PM

Thanks very much Neil. There are three drawers on the front, with concealed pulls. You can make out the drawer divisions in some of the photos.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nicely done, as always. Man you do good work!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 AM

Interesting. The grain looks as though its illuminated from under the top.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Oh. Man.

Wow.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks very much for the responses. The cypress was chosen, because we thought it best matched what was going on in the old heart pine, plus because the logs were old, and already cut, it fits the "salvage" quality of the whole idea. It stains nicely, without obscuring the fineness of the really old growth logs. There seems to be a bit of the sinker cypress around. I may buy some more to keep around.

So I have a question about my photos. I work on 24" monitors, and rarely do any work on the laptop's screen, and don't surf around on my I-phone. Are my typical pictures, at 1100 wide too big for viewing w/o scrolling? Should I size them down to 950 or smaller? Any opinions are welcome.

Cricket
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Photos are perfect for me. And really good quality - nice work!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM

I'm on a 13" laptop. I have to expand my window fully to just get all of your images on his thread. I usually have my browser window sized smaller so I can see stuff on the side of my desktop. So if your asking me, they're a little large for the laptop and iPhone. In the evening I'm on a 24" monitor as well, so it doesn't matter...

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-20-2012 at 01:50 AM.