talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 AM

Default Re-worked cabinet...

We have an old store bought Armoire from one of those unfinished furniture stores. It has to be thirty years old. We never "finished" it. It was kind of a non-descript knotty pine cabinet with big wood knobs, overlay doors, 1/8" masonite back, plywood overlay drawers that ran on a flimsy center rail that was stapled to a failing face frame. A thick top with an ugly band molding under it. I was going to toss it, but decided to give it a face lift instead.

I ripped off the face frame and replaced it with a beaded frame. I ripped the doors down so they'd be inset and rehung them with euro hinges. Then I routed a profile on the top to thin out the looks and made up a smaller bed mold to go under the top. I replaced the back with 1x6" pine beadboard. The drawers were beyond help so I made new ones out of 3/4" pine. I used 1/2" MDO for the bottoms. I rabbited the bottoms to fit in a 1/4" dado and used some left over self closing slides. Very solid affair now. A few cherry shaker knobs to top it off.

Everything was from left over material hanging around the shop. The new pine needs some time to discolor and catch up with the old. Haven't decided if I want to put a "finish" on it, or leave it. I kind of like the natural knotty look. Maybe in the spring I'll oil it up... or in another thirty years. At least now its a little more pleasant to look at.

Few pics of the face lift...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Re-worked cabinet...

Very nice! If you hadn't mentioned what you did, I'd never be able to tell. The true mark of a craftsman. I'd love to see some before (and during) pictures if you have them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM

I didn't take any pics Jim. It was a fat ugly duckling. If you've ever walked into an unfinished furniture store you'll know what I mean. Like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Hey Bigfoot,
You might consider a shellac finish for that piece. works good on pine, and you can tint the mix with alcohol soluble dyes to match the new to the old. I like to mix my own garnet shellac, and add dyes to the individual project batches. Finish the old first, then match a scrap of the new to it before you tackle the actual new bits. I use a cheesecloth pad and wipe on the shellac (not a brush). A light sand w/ 400 or 600 and a dark wax over top does it nice.

Or just wait another 15 years for the new to patina.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Cricket thanks for the suggestion. I'll play around on some pine.

How's that boat of yours coming?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM

That's a nice cabinet..