talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Default Glastonbury Chair

This Chairs design goes back to England in the 1500's.
My son asked me if it would be possible to build one for his SCA events (re-enacting medieval times). It seemed easy enough, but figuring out how to route angled slots and the angles for the arm attatching points was a challenge. It was designed to come apart and is held together by gravity and 8 wedges. it's a bit of a puzzle to get it together, but once it's together....it's rock solid. Made from all solid White Oak it weighs quite a bit, but I figure two people can lift it without too much back pain.
Not exactly Fine Furniture, but you can sit in it!
Attached Thumbnails
glastonbury-chair-img_0060.jpg   glastonbury-chair-img_5942.jpg   glastonbury-chair-img_5943.jpg   glastonbury-chair-img_5950.jpg   glastonbury-chair-img_5953.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Glastonbury Chair

That's really cool, Brian. I suppose that the original would have had round or flat tenons cut from the ends of the boards, rather than joining a new piece to it. But the construction looks rock solid. Maybe you should sell your idea to IKEA. You could call it "Glåstønbüry" or something.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice work, Brian! Does it have to be completely disassembled for transport, or can it be folded?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 AM

Poto,According to Daniel Diehl the original chairs were constructed using small dowels to lock in the large dowels into the crossmember boards. No glue was used. In his book, Mr. Diehl gives detailed observations of how the original surviving chairs were constructed, but that's just the examples he worked with. I'm sure there are other examples with differing constructions.
Wonderwino,
Daniel Diehl wrote; "The basic style of the Glastonbury chair is called a faldstool, meaning folding seat", but it really does not fold but comes apart once the wedges are removed.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM

That is a pretty cool project. Nice to see something that is out of the ordinary.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Very interesting design. The arms look very unconventional in shape. How comfortable is the chair and the armrests?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM

The chair is not uncomfortable at all. According to Daniel Diehl, It most likely is supposed to have a cushion or pillow of some type. Doing a google search of it shows the original 1500's chair has extensive carving on it. I watched Mary May's presentations at the WIA in Pasadena. I have tried my hand at it, but can report that White Oak is not the material of choice for beginning carvers. Also, Basswood is not the choice for building a chair! It would be a lot lighter but not strong enough.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

I have built at least 7 of these chairs. One of Deihl's design, then the rest with some small modifications to make the build easier. i have carved in red oak and walnut for some of them. i have used ash and cherry as well. The chair is not light when built to hold real weight, but assembles in about 2 minutes. No metal is needed at all which makes them very nice. These are easily changed for different sizes, pack up well, and can be carried by one person assembled or not.