talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Cherry and what?

I am just starting to make blanket chests for my adult children for Christmas gifts - cherry stained "Georgian Red" to match rocking chairs we made last year - that is for the legs and the rails/stiles for the panels for the side and top. I planned to use maple for the raised panels, just oiled for a nice contrast - any thoughts or experiences with a particularly nice wood pairing? Something other than maple, perhaps - what about pecan, I thought that might be nice but I have no experience with that. Thanks for your sage advice, as always
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cherry and what?

Cherry and maple is one of my favorite combinations!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM

Paul,

How about ebony? Stuff looks beautiful with cherry, although not as a whole panel! Maybe keep the whole chest cherry and place some ebony lines or plugs.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 AM

Cherry and spalted maple are a favorite combination of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
cherry-what-thetwins.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM

Why not use a cherry crotch veneer? The colour is the same, but the variation comes from the grain pattern. I also included some sapwood as a central feature. The drawer fronts are ice birch.
Attached Thumbnails
cherry-what-img_2064_01.jpg   cherry-what-photo33_01.jpg   cherry-what-photo_01.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Looking at the quality of these examples makes we want to take my tools and go home - oh wait, the tools are already home. At any rate, thanks for all of the good suggestions and wow, your work is beautiful! Very inspiring.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Cherry and maple go together like peas and carrots.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM

I've often thought that, in small amounts, wenge would be a good accent. If you can picture something like a heavy trestle table with keyed tenons, and the keys were Wenge, along with accents on the top like the pins in the breadboard ends. That could be hot.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Chery and maple do go well together - Christmas gifts this year - heated up the Domino joiner and made three of these blanket chests for the kids. I don't like the extra color on the cherry but we tried to match last year's rocking chairs

seven different curve lengths - radii calculated with help from the college student - cut with the MFS

Throw in some cedar to keep the bugs out - cut the hinge mortises with the MFS too. I like the torsion hinges instead of separate lid stays.

Last edited by Paul; 01-25-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Just gorgeous, Paul! I love the lines. Beautiful design.