talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 AM

Default Live edge TV / Entertainment stand

Just completed this TV / Entertainment stand for my daughter. It's my first time working with live edge wood.
The wood was sourced locally at Owl hardwoods in suburban Chicago.

The live edge was prepped with a wire brush in a Festool drill to remove the dirt and grit. This was then followed by hand sanding from 150 up to 600 grit with particular focus on the edges to make sure there was no chance of splinters. I also used a small brass wire brush to get into the areas where the drill brush would not go.

Overall dimensions: 42 w x 15 d x 18 1/2 h This will end up supporting a 40" TV in my daughter's apartment.
Woods: Bubinga and Wenge
Construction: 36 Dominos - 50 x 8mm - 2x per connection x 8 joints per leg + 2 per bottom foot
Finish: Sanded to 600 grit finish + Watco oil x 5 coats + wax x 3 coats + Rotex buffing
Sketchup model available if interested
Festool sanders, TS55, Rotex, T-drill, Domino and various hand planes were used.

Bottom foot (below the bottom shelf) was a piece of Wenge 1 1/2 x 2" x 11" with chamfered corners. Anchored with two Dominos that are free floating in oversize mortises and one screw countersunk in the middle of each from the bottom.

The domino makes this kind of construction so easy. I used two pieces of 3/4 wood to properly align the domino joiner across the top and bottom pieces having taped the top and bottom back to back to 'align' for the domino placement given I was doing two per joint across the 10" span of the legs. I needed to make sure every tenon matched up properly. I was able to do this with no wide mortises - everything cut to fit with lots of measurement checking. And a little tapping with rubber mallet!

Will need to deliver and install in the coming weeks and will add an 'in place' photo then.

Feedback or questions welcome!

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_1486.jpg   live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_1487.jpg   live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_1491.jpg   live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_1496.jpg   live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_1498.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Live edge TV / Entertainment stand

Love the bubinga slabs and they work well with the wenge.
A simple design, and I think that works best with live edge slabs
That bubinga is has a slight curly edge, so there's probably a little curly figure in there somewhere?
If you find any dirty bubinga slabs with really curly edges (bumpy) You've hit gold, as they contain a lot of figure, almost like 3D waves in the grain.
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Very, very beautiful, Neil. Gorgeous wood - you made a wonderful choice pairing the bubinga (wow!) with the wenge. Interesting design - are there short legs under the bottom slab? It looks like it must weigh a ton - those are pretty thick slabs.

I'm thinking of a TV cabinet, so I was happy to see yours. Just beautiful!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 AM

Thanks Poto - the table is VERY heavy. The slabs are 1 1/4 thick. The wood is DENSE.

Here's a photo of the bottom feet - two pieces of wenge with chamfers on each end. They are attached with two dominos in oversize mortises and one screw each holding them in place. No glue to allow for expansion.

Okami - there is some curl in the top and edge. Camera does not pick it up.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
live-edge-tv-entertainment-stand-img_0177.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the photo of the underside, Neil.

Do you worry about racking? I would have thought that there's not a lot of lateral support with just dominos in the legs. But perhaps the weight helps?

It's going to be a shame to put a TV on it, and obscure the color and figure.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Good question Peter -

There are double dominos in each joint intersection. So it's very strong with those joints. I used acetone to clean the joints before gluing and then Gorilla Glue rather than Titebond to improve holding power as both bubinga and wenge have higher oil content.

I had considered a cross brace at the upper back, between the two uprights, but I don't think it's needed.

The unit is carrying a relatively light load and there is only a downward force on it. The short legs underneath concetrate a lot of the weight on that lower slab close to the floor. So there is no lateral forces as if you were leaning against it or sitting on it. A 40" flat screen TV weighs maybe 30 pounds.

I built a full entertainment console for my son - maybe 34 x 60 x 20" that takes a lot more lateral movement given drawers, cabinets, and moving it. You can see a couple of photos here -

Designing and Building an Entertainment Centre
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I sure love that cabinet you made for your son, Neil. Beautiful work.

As for racking and later loads, I was thinking more along the lines of a kid or a drunken houseguest falling into it from the side. But hopefully your daughter will never have to find out.

I've never liked working with Gorilla glue. How did you find it? That foaming action really irks me...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Ah, yes!
I was given a tub of the German equivalent of gorilla glue, by the felder dealer here. I used it once to glue up a table base...geez it made a mess...I didn't realise how much that stuff foams! It went in the bin after that glue up
I use a Japanese glue instead, much better, it's called Oshika TP111.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I sure love that cabinet you made for your son, Neil. Beautiful work.

As for racking and later loads, I was thinking more along the lines of a kid or a drunken houseguest falling into it from the side. But hopefully your daughter will never have to find out.

I've never liked working with Gorilla glue. How did you find it? That foaming action really irks me...
I have a friend who built a nightstand for his pre-teen daughter. Thinking that the most stress it would have would be a phone and maybe a book, he made it gracefully thin. A few months later, he told me he was rebuilding it with a sturdier design since it had broken to pieces when she was dancing on it.

AFter that incident, I tend to overbuild things....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM

Peter

Gorilla Glue is not my first choice! I used previously on a Wenge and Birdseye wall cabinet and it took some effort to clean it up.

So, I masked the joint to control the gorilla glue which helped. Agree it can be a mess but it worked to control it and then I used chisel and scraper to clean up the joint after it was clamped and as it dried then sanded well once it was dry.

One advantage of the simple design was I could control things a bit better from a glue standpoint.

Jesse - I hear you on drinking and furniture damage. Both my kids are through college now and I have had a couple of repairs on end tables.

Tripping over this piece would be its own punishment!

Neil