talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Crib project

If you ever wondered what to do with 168 dominos, a truck load of walnut and the impending birth of your first grandchild - this is the result in my case:

sorry the pictures are not very good

Some nice figuring in the raised panel - my first attempt at a raised panel, and it had to be curved, of course, no sense doing things the easy way.

These pictures were taken when the pieces had just a couple coats of oil, still not done with final coats, polishing, etc., but I thought I would put it together to see how it looks. It assembles/knocks down very easily with two set of regular bed rail hardware.

This is the crib that I mentioned in the finiishing forum. Thanks to Okami for the lead on Liberon finishing oil - looking good so far, hopefully overshadows my poor craftsmanship.

Last edited by Paul; 08-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Crib project

Paul, that is awesome! I love the curved raised panel.
One very lucky grandchild!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Don't knock yourself, it's outstanding work. Beautiful!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks, its been good therapy while I work out the whole grandpa thing - we weren't sure either the crib or my acceptance of grandpa status would be complete in time.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful, Paul! Very graceful. I love the wood, and the finish looks great so far. Do you have any pictures of the build? I'd love to see the progress.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM

I didn't take many pictures along the way- here are the bending forms and one of the pattern routing jigs made for the project:

The Festool MFS was fantastic for cutting the 16 mortises for the bed rail hardware:

This is a side rail showing one end of the hardware connection:

These are the raised panel assembly ready for glue up - the raised panel itself got a little pre-finish:

Wet sanding with 2000 grit pad on the rotex is starting to produce a good shine on the front and back rails

Sorry - didn't mean to go overboard with the pictures - especially after I said I didn't have very many.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Sorry - didn't mean to go overboard with the pictures - especially after I said I didn't have very many.
There's no such thing as too many pictures, thanks for sharing.

Very nice work!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 AM

That's fantastic it looks very well constructed and the finish is coming along nicely. That liberon oil does a nice job on walnut.
Cheers!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Ditto on the "no such thing as too many pictures!"

Great looking crib, Paul. What kind of oil are you using for the polish?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM

The oil is Liberon Finishing Oil recommended by Okami
Amazon.com: Liberon Finishing Oil, Liter: Home...Amazon.com: Liberon Finishing Oil, Liter: Home...
Great product - but I haven't settled on the final finish yet, wet sanding with the oil and rotex at 2000 grit seems strangely to increase the cure time, I may need to knock out more sample boards and try dry polishing. Does anyone have any opinions either way?