talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Three Desk Boxes

Hi all,
I posted a short post last week about using Organoil Interior Finishing Oil, which I suspect is similar to Liberon Fine Finishing Oil, but I will have to use the Liberon to be sure. Anyway, these are the boxes after finishing. The tray and base are finished in black baize ("velvet"). The three timbers are
Box 1 Jarrah and Curly Jarrah
Box 2 Tasmanian Blackwood
Box 3 Australian Red Gum
So to finish the boxes, I used the Interior Finishing oil as follows.
1. Use a rag saturated in the oil and swab the surfaces, rubbing in the oil as I did.
2. Wait 5 minutes then swab the surfaces again.
3. Wait 5 minutes and begin wet sanding at 400g and proceed up through 800,1200, 1500, 2000 and 4000g.
Wipe vigorously with a dry cotton cloth.
The time to finish a box totally was about 15-20 minutes.
That's it!
You should be able to see reflection in a couple of the lids that are open. The finish is clear,rich and bright. Grain is particularly enhanced which makes it ideal for highly figured woods.
It's so easy, you could just do it again if you weren't happy or if the surface was marred in some way.
Pic 1 and 2: Jarrah box
Pic 3 and 4 Tasmanian Blackwood. (The richness of the finish is truly obvious in this timber)
Pic 5 and 6 Red Gum Box.
Pic 7 is all three boxes sitting on a Jarrah servery.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
three-desk-boxes-jarrah_2.jpg   three-desk-boxes-jarrah_3.jpg   three-desk-boxes-blackwood_1.jpg   three-desk-boxes-blackwood_3.jpg   three-desk-boxes-red_gum_1.jpg  

three-desk-boxes-red_gum_2.jpg   three-desk-boxes-3_boxes_1.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Three Desk Boxes

Beautiful work - thanks for posting. I'll try your technique on my walnut project and see if I can come close to these results.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Hi all,
I posted a short post last week about using Organoil Interior Finishing Oil, which I suspect is similar to Liberon Fine Finishing Oil, but I will have to use the Liberon to be sure. Anyway, these are the boxes after finishing. The tray and base are finished in black baize ("velvet"). The three timbers are
Box 1 Jarrah and Curly Jarrah
Box 2 Tasmanian Blackwood
Box 3 Australian Red Gum
So to finish the boxes, I used the Interior Finishing oil as follows.
1. Use a rag saturated in the oil and swab the surfaces, rubbing in the oil as I did.
2. Wait 5 minutes then swab the surfaces again.
3. Wait 5 minutes and begin wet sanding at 400g and proceed up through 800,1200, 1500, 2000 and 4000g.
Wipe vigorously with a dry cotton cloth.
The time to finish a box totally was about 15-20 minutes.
That's it!
You should be able to see reflection in a couple of the lids that are open. The finish is clear,rich and bright. Grain is particularly enhanced which makes it ideal for highly figured woods.
It's so easy, you could just do it again if you weren't happy or if the surface was marred in some way.
Pic 1 and 2: Jarrah box
Pic 3 and 4 Tasmanian Blackwood. (The richness of the finish is truly obvious in this timber)
Pic 5 and 6 Red Gum Box.
Pic 7 is all three boxes sitting on a Jarrah servery.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Rob
Rob,

Those are beautiful boxes. Is the top of the Blackwood box supposed to be yellowish? It is really striking and I love the look but can't figure out if most of the color is due to the lighting or real.

Regardless, they are beautiful boxes. Are they all for one client or are they for your home?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 AM

Hi Fred,
A certain amount of the yellow is due to the light, but much of it is real. This Blackwood is recycled and came from a wardrobe in a house just nearby. The wardrobe was about 40 years old and it was finished in Polyurethane. Once I stripped it back, it was just stunning Blackwood. fortunately I still have a bit left. Here's a couple of pics of the construction process to sow you how the wood looks in better light. I have to say that the oil bought out the colour beautifully. BUT!!.....They don't make the oil anymore!

However, I have now tried four different oils on several types of timber and am convinced that any Tung oil based finish, without Poly in it will give the same depth of colour and also bring out the grain beautifully. Nex t is Liberon Fine Finishing Oil. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, and two more pics of oiled and sanded Queensland Walnut. Rare as the proverbial Hean's teeh now, but I have about 5 metres of 50mm x 180mm squirreled away.

These boxes were made for three "Lovely Ladies"

Recently I had half my mouth rearranged, several teeth removed and replaced with two dentures. These ladies worked in accounts and made sure I was able to pay over a period of time. I appreciated that a lot. So I made them each a box for their personal belongings.

Regards,

"The Toothless Tiger"
Attached Thumbnails
three-desk-boxes-bw_box_with_tray_supports_1.jpg   three-desk-boxes-bw_tray_in_situ.jpg   three-desk-boxes-bw_box_with_rough_lid_1.jpg   three-desk-boxes-qw_1.jpg   three-desk-boxes-qw_2.jpg  

three-desk-boxes-qw_3.jpg