talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 AM

Default Jarrah Sideboard and Servery

So this is all Jarrah, from various bits I had lying around. It's 1.4m long x 900mm high and 350mm wide. Still needs some finish work and a drawer. Should be finished Tuesday. Finish for the top and shelf is Hard Burnishing Oil. The rest of the unit is Scandinavian Oil, burnished by wet sanding to 4000g.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
jarrah-sideboard-servery-almost_1.jpg   jarrah-sideboard-servery-almost_2.jpg   jarrah-sideboard-servery-almost_3.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Jarrah Sideboard and Servery

Finished!
Attached Thumbnails
jarrah-sideboard-servery-fin_front_1.1.jpg   jarrah-sideboard-servery-fin_back_3.1.jpg   jarrah-sideboard-servery-fin_drawer_1.1.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Very, very nice Rob, as always.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Lovely Jarrah on the top, Rob
How much does Jarrah cost per cube? I imagine it's not cheap..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 AM

Hi Okami,
Yes, the top board is beautiful. It's 40mm thick and has nice grain and a beautiful dark colour. Jarrah this colour has a definite presence.
Jarrah is about $4,500-5,000 a cube, rough sawn. Dressed All Round it's about $5-6000.

Just as a side note, I'm going to a friend's place on 5 Aug. to redo the top of their Jarrah dining table with Hard burnishing Oil. At present, they have a Bees Wax finish. You can imagine the fun they have with marks and such!

Regards,

Rob
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 AM

That's not too bad a price when I compare to wood prices here
So, Rob how are you going to tackle the removal of the beeswax? Use a chemical, then sand, hand plane, scraper or just sand? I imagine just hitting it with the sander will cause the paper to gum-up?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 AM

That's a good question Okami. I can either scrape it then sand or just sand, I think what I will do is use 50 grit on the RO150, then take the sanding up through the grits to 400 before oiling. I'll probably go through a few pads, but for the sake of expediencey I'm OK with that. The first two or three pads (80,100,120g will be done in random mode on the RO150, then I'll switch to the ETS150/3 for the rest.
All the Jarrah I used in the Servery was finished with several coats of Wipe On Poly (so it was my early days as a woodworker, we all err at some time!).
I found using the 50 grit pads very effective and they lasted longer than I thought they would. It took only 3-5 minutes of 50 grit to end up with bare wood. Wax will be worse of course, but managable I hope.
From memory, the table to be done is about 2m x 1.4m. Shouldn't be too much work preparing.

Regards,

Rob