talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Shoji-style doors

It's the construction of the wall with the air return grill that I am curious about.

I'm too tired to think about another plane right now
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Oops! That wall (the one with the pantry doors and the air return) is not structural. Only the exterior walls are. However, we can't put a nook in that wall over the air return because that's where the furnace sits (behind the wall).

As for hanging the leash, etc., I'd been toying with the idea of building a floor-to-ceiling screen to the left of the shoe cabinet, perpendicular to that wall. It would separate the entrance way from the dining room. I'm not sure that Sharon's a fan of the idea, however...
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM

Peter,

See my post #48; I solved the leash problem already, now you can move on.

How about a half wall to help separate the entry from the dinning room without losing the openness of the room?

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

A half wall is also a good idea, Rutager. Our neighbor's house is the same as ours, and they have a half wall. However, the location of the wall makes the entry very narrow.

My original design for the shoe cabinet was to have a bench parallel to the pantry wall, that was the base of a screen that extended up to the ceiling. The bench would have had storage space for shoes, etc. The design was not welcomed by all in the family...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Peter,

Before you chop up your entry, you might want to look through A Pattern Language for their take on it.

Mike