talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Shoji-style doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Colin, John Raftery suggested this, too. I was thinking that it might be too much shoji for the room. But I'll consider it.

The other problem (that I mentioned above) is that the pantry doors are set back from the wall, but the closet door is flush with the wall. If we put the closet door flush with the pantry door, we'll lose some valuable space in the closet.

But I'm sure these difficulties could be overcome...
This is the only design shortcoming I see. The door depth should have been justified by setting the bi-fold doors the same depth. Not a big deal if the doors aren't the same depth ultimately as long as there is a nice unifying casing/paneling scheme.

I vote for covering the whole wall. After another nice wood door and casing is added there will be so little white "plaster" left that it will look wrong. Go full wood except for the relief of the light colored shoji. It will look a lot better for those light colored areas to be nicely framed at mid level than the other way around.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
This is the only design shortcoming I see. The door depth should have been justified by setting the bi-fold doors the same depth. Not a big deal if the doors aren't the same depth ultimately as long as there is a nice unifying casing/paneling scheme.

I vote for covering the whole wall. After another nice wood door and casing is added there will be so little white "plaster" left that it will look wrong. Go full wood except for the relief of the light colored shoji. It will look a lot better for those light colored areas to be nicely framed at mid level than the other way around.
That's an interesting idea, Michael. I'd love to talk with you further about that.

As for the pantry doors, they could be moved forward to be flush with the wall face. It would entail removing a trim strip (that I didn't want to do for fear of screwing everything up) and moving the hardware forward. But if I were re-doing the entire wall, it wouldn't be a big deal.

What sort of paneling are you envisioning for the wall? I could see some nice trim around the doors, but the whole wall...? Hmmmm... Maybe...
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
You're sweet, John. And your ideas are always worth considering. Once I figure out how Randy got my picture in the right perspective in SketchUp, I'll try doing an all-shoji set of doors and see how it looks. Who knows? You could be on to something!
If you have a few minutes here's a great video explaining the how to model from a photo.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Brice. I'll look forward to watching it. I've used photos in Sketchup before - made some pretty cool 3D plots of satellite data and data from an instrument inside the ocean. They've appeared in lots of papers and proposals.

Now - how to get my doors in papers and proposals....
Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 AM

Some of these ideas might be okay...even though half-baked.

As mentioned previously make a similar shoji styled door for the utility closet. If possible enlarge and/or move it to the right a little to reduce the casing (between it and the bi-gold doors) to the same width as the (eventual) casing on the right side of the bi-folds.

To the left of the utility door cover the wall with a shoji panel that has a set in section of thin blades louvers for the air return. Use the same vertical grain DF and it'll all look really nice and warm.

I'm thinking of a big bold top casing that spans the whole wall, seemingly held up by the door casings. Maybe put a shallow shelf on top of that long casing?

If you do that you'll then have a simple horizontal rectangle of white wall above the casing/shelf. It would make a nice background to a few more nice objects from your collection. Perhaps an even nicer background if the color is changed to something less bright (or more DF or five or seven panels of simplified shoji, especially if you omit the shelf).

How far is the front door from that wall? It would be nice to build in a small cabinet (or section of pegs) for the leash etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting food for thought, Michael. (I should point out that Michael's actually been in our house, though not with these doors.)

The front door trim is about 3" from the wall with the pantry and closet. Not much room to hang anything. And we'd like to change the door so that the hinges are on the pantry-wall side, rather than the front-of-the-house side. That way, when people come into the house, they'll look into the house, rather than face a wall.

Nice idea about the shelf up there. With the right lighting, some of our pottery would look pretty nice there.

Look what you've started, John!!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Look what you've started, John!!
Yep, I think this thread is interesting.

So, Peter, let's see if you can take some of the ideas from "half-baked" to "well-done".

Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Due to a lack of opposable thumbs, Wally isn't able to comment, but would like to point out that you can eliminate the pegs and with them his leash. He feels that the leash is holding him back from his true potential.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM

I like how bright the room is and darkening a whole wall (even if only medium toned a la DF) would be a bit much so I thought if more of the area was shoji it would still be bright enough.

If the area above the shelf/casing was covered with shoji panels it might actually require nine instead of seven (keep it an odd number). To look good you want to utilize all the limited depth you have so you could paint the wall black and adhere the Tyvek directly in one long strip. Add the frame and shoot some small cross-section strips in right against the wall to give the appearance of more depth.

To the right of the bi-fold doors you might add another length of casing around the corner to make the corner of the wall look like a post and widen that casing. Running the shelf a little past the corner with a bit of return in the hall side might look good.

Is the wall behind the front door structural? Even if it is you could turn one of the studs sideways at least and build in a shallow "key" cabinet.

Well, that's enough ideas for now, should consume at least 1.5 sabbaticals.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Michael, here's the wall behind the front door:

Actually, that's an old picture. It now has a shelf for holding sunglasses and a fun rack below where we hang our keys. Nothing that would take a leash, however.

All great ideas! Keep 'em coming!