talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Shoji-style doors

You're right about that straight grained Fir being more stable. It will be interesting to note how the domino joints hold up on a project like this, with doors that get frequent use. I was taught to use deep, haunched tenons on these types of jobs..but that's going back before the domino was invented
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

I really should have done the deep, haunched tenons, Okamisan. It would have been a good opportunity for me to improve my skills. But I wanted to get them done...

And, if they break, it'll be an opportunity to make better ones!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM

Why not make another shoji. Make it two panels wide, but it would just be a single door. I believe matching the door styles would make the room look more harmonius.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Colin, John Raftery suggested this, too. I was thinking that it might be too much shoji for the room. But I'll consider it.

The other problem (that I mentioned above) is that the pantry doors are set back from the wall, but the closet door is flush with the wall. If we put the closet door flush with the pantry door, we'll lose some valuable space in the closet.

But I'm sure these difficulties could be overcome...
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Colin, John Raftery suggested this, too ...
Don't listen anything I say, when it comes to an eye for design you're my idol.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post

... there has been no time to even contemplate cleaning off the top of my MFT.
So far, that has been my primary use for the MFT, another horizontal surface to pile stuff on. When the pile gets too high, I just buy another.

I now have six!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Don't listen anything I say, when it comes to an eye for design you're my idol.

You're sweet, John. And your ideas are always worth considering. Once I figure out how Randy got my picture in the right perspective in SketchUp, I'll try doing an all-shoji set of doors and see how it looks. Who knows? You could be on to something!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Thanks, Brice. It's interesting, isn't it, how one's view of something changes after some pattern has been revealed. I've always found the same thing with art: once someone explains it to me, I have a completely different view of the work.

That being said, I hope you like the mountains!

And I should hasten to add, that the kumiko patterns evolved somewhat randomly. It was only quite a while (months) after choosing this pattern that I came up with the "mountain" explanation for why it felt right to me. There are probably others... But the mountains weren't incorporated intentionally beforehand. I just felt that there needed to be something in the lower left and lower right corners. Those little pieces really anchor the "big" mountain.
That's the problem with "art appreciation", IMO.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Bigfoot! I agree about the smell - it was wonderful working with the wood. Made me think I was in a forest somewhere...

I especially like the look of quarter-sawn softwoods when the parts are not large. It looks very nice here.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I did think about that, John. One problem is that the folding doors are set back from the wall - we'd lose closet space if we did the same with the closet door. And I'm also concerned that it might be a bit much of a muchness - too much shoji for the room. An accent is fine, but a wall of it might be overwhelming.

Instead, I'm thinking of a craftsman-style door. I'll try a mock-up in cardboard and see whether it works or not.

Definitely worth thinking about, though.

And, for the record, I first saw a young woman, then I saw the old woman, but I had to look for her (I knew she was there, as I'd seen the illusion before). I wonder whether anyone would emphatically state that there is NO young/old woman in the picture?

You could clad the whole wall Craftsman style, building it out an inch to inset the closet door a bit. Louvers for the air return.