talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Shoji-style doors

By all means, go ahead and copy. It's not like I came up with these designs out of the blue - I spend a lot of time musing on other people's designs, and then morphing them to suit my needs and tastes.

P.S. So...do you electrocute fish, or something?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM

hehe, thnx

I used to play an online game called everquest and I had to make a character to help a friend that killed fish via some shadow knight shock skill so I made a throw away character named zapdafish and have used it in forums ever since. Creating a unique name that can be used on alot of forums and games was kinda hard and this one fit the bill.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Very creative. Looks like the world's fishing fleet is going to put you out of business, however.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Lovely work Peter. Was i the only one surprised its not cherry?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post
Lovely work Peter. Was i the only one surprised its not cherry?
Apparently you were - nobody's mentioned it yet! Shocking!

And thanks! How's your woodworking going? Is your daughter in the shop helping you out yet?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 PM

At first I was expecting cherry but the doors capture the Japanese feel much better in the Fir, I believe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

The fir also had a nice, tight, straight grain. I couldn't find cherry that was as straight-grained - I was worried that the doors would warp in cherry. I think they'll be wonderfully stable in fir.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 AM

Beautiful work, Peter. As soon as i finished looking at the photos, I intended on saying something about the door to the left, but I held off until I had read every post. I am glad i di, but I am sure that whatever door you build for that spot will be just as beautiful as the Shoji.

Regards, Colin
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Apparently you were - nobody's mentioned it yet! Shocking!

And thanks! How's your woodworking going? Is your daughter in the shop helping you out yet?
Let's see - my garage shop is piled high with junk, and between the one year old boy who just seems to try to kill himself anyway he can and my daughter who is five going on fifteen, there has been no time to even contemplate cleaning off the top of my MFT. I am however greying nicely.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post
Let's see - my garage shop is piled high with junk, and between the one year old boy who just seems to try to kill himself anyway he can and my daughter who is five going on fifteen, there has been no time to even contemplate cleaning off the top of my MFT. I am however greying nicely.
Oh, baby - I'm with you on that, Immunoboy! I'm just thankful that I still have hair to go gray. Or "grey" as we say in the Colonies. Feel free to plan a field trip down here - we could make some nice shavings with my tools. Perhaps Gillian could hang out with your daughter...

Colin, I'd be happy to hear any thoughts you had on the other doors. More shoji? Craftsman style? Mission style? Abstract post-modern punk? And thank you for the nice compliments.