talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Shoji-style doors

Very nice, potosan
I think you got the kumiko dimensions just right, they shouldn't be too weighty.
Good choice of wood too, very Japanese looking..
Did you have any shooting in to do, I can't imagine that pantry entrance to be square?
They look great!
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 AM

Nice work, just leave Wally in front of the other door and no one will care- that is one soft fluffy dog!

I vote for a plain panel door in Doug Fir for both the entry and the mechanical room.

Best,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Okamisan and Rutager. No, I didn't have to do any adjustments on the doors themselves when I mounted them. The swivels that they sit on have some adjustment, so I did a little there. But mostly they went in nicely. I did have to move one lower swivel forward about 1/2" - I'd installed it relative to the front of the wall, but that surface wasn't plumb. But that was the only problem.

Rutager, that's my plan for all my furniture: put the dog in front of it, and nobody will notice. Also, notice how his fur matches the doors...

I was thinking of something a little more complex than a plain paneled door, but not much. I'll experiment with some designs and see what I can come up with.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 AM

Just playin around in SU.
I like trim, but doing it, you pretty much have to start changing more than just doors. Anyway.
When you say mission, you mean something that might mimic some of the lines of what you just made?
shoji-style-doors-petertrim.jpg
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

You're definitely on the right track, Randy. My door design would have a little more going on, but you've got the basic idea. As you say, I'd have to change the trim. The space between the closet and pantry is pretty small - maybe 6". So that doesn't leave much room for two trim pieces. I was thinking of perhaps having a lintel that went across both sets of doors.

Just musing - I'll have to try the same thing in SketchUp.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Just saw this thread Peter. Really well executed. Love the choice of wood and the overall design. I grew up with Japanese Shoji screens and you captured the essence of them VERY well.

By the way, a JMP would have made cutting the cross-pieces a breeze!

Thanks for sharing the designs and then the exeutions.

One question - Is there a frame still in place from the original doors? It appears to have a wooden interior but no face frame. Is the wall plaster?

Really nice work!

neil

Last edited by neilc; 06-26-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks so much, Neil. What were the circumstances that you were surrounded by shoji growing up?

You're absolutely right about the JMP - I was wishing I had one during the whole build. It would have made life a LOT easier!

There's no trim around the pantry doors - they were inset into the wall. So, yes, it's just plaster (actually, wallboard with orange-peel texture). There's a little bit of trim, but it's inside the door frame, just to hide the track (it was from the original doors - I didn't remove it). I'm thinking that some nice trim around both sets of doors would be a nice touch. Someday...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nicely done Peter! I love everything you've done thus far. Your home is becoming quite the showplace.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you so much, Mike. That's very flattering. I'm wishing I had more people who would buy my stuff so that I could make my mistakes on their pieces, rather than mine!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM

wow thanks for the WIP pics. Hope you don't mind if I copy some of this to use in my house!