talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Recent turnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
That reminds me; I still have to get those burls ready to send you. They are "kiln" drying in my yard. It was 106F today.

And, nice turning!
Alex,

That is just crap mon. You need to come out here on Thursday as we are supposed to be somewhere between 98-100F. Think of how much cooler you will feel?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Thank you Fred. In all honesty, I do feel a little like I've cleared some small hurdle along the way and mentally, my mind is opening up and generating new ideas. Some of the most recent things are starting to reflect it.
It's still good to hear someone else say it too.
You did get a really, really, cool piece.
Side note - it was signed. Fred's bowl was signed with the same pen I'd signed everything with, and the finish I put on it dissolved the ink. So it went in to the box signed, it came out . . . nothin. Which ended up being even more of a reason to pursue a branding iron.
So, come WIA, if you drive, fly, whatever, and want to pack it in your bag, I'll pack the iron and we can get that rectified.
I'm leaning on driving this year, and using osage logs for ballast. Then see if anyone wants to do some horse trading while I'm there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Thank you Fred. In all honesty, I do feel a little like I've cleared some small hurdle along the way and mentally, my mind is opening up and generating new ideas. Some of the most recent things are starting to reflect it.
Side note - it was signed. Fred's bowl was signed with the same pen I'd signed everything with, and the finish I put on it dissolved the ink. So it went in to the box signed, it came out . . . nothin. Which ended up being even more of a reason to pursue a branding iron.
So, come WIA, if you drive, fly, whatever, and want to pack it in your bag, I'll pack the iron and we can get that rectified.
I'm leaning on driving this year, and using osage logs for ballast. Then see if anyone wants to do some horse trading while I'm there.
Randy,

You are quite welcome but it really is easy to see the definitive step up in quality and it is exciting as well.

You might want to reconsider your WIA plan as I do not recall too many people that brought horses much less would want to trade them for some wood. Quite a conundrum, I would say. Plus, what the heck are you going to do with a horse or two? I could be wrong but I think PITA might be all over you if start turning horses. Then lad, you would be looking at a huge mess and who is going to want to clean that up? If this is plan A, you may want to drop down to plan M or below.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
As we get closer to WIA, we will have to chat about you bringing me some of that there Osage!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM

I dunno, Scott. With my suspension bags filled, I can really only carry about 5000 lbs in the bed safely ;-)
Yeah, I'm thinkin of you!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

OK Randy, which WIA are you talkin' bout?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

BTW, I turned a small weed vase out of a piece of hackberry. Love it. It's the only hackberry I've ever seen. Got more info about it? It's really nice stuff.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Yes. I am aware that, like many wood or tree names, "Hackberry" covers a range of trees and shrubs that, to a botanist, are not a singular species but rather a group.
The one I am familiar with, naturally, is the one that grows here. American Hackberry or Common Hackberry.
Celtis occidentalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is an Elm relative, sometimes mistaken for Elms because of the leaves. Much easier to distinguish when the berries are on. To me the bark is the giveaway. You stare at a Hackberry and an American Elm side by side and the Elm bark is much thicker, more furrowed, and runs in straighter lines. Hackberries tend to be more patchy on the bark, and more irregular in general.
From a wood perspective, it is far more dense than Elm, lighter in color, and more color variation. American elm is creamy / tan, Hackberry is very light with the black towards the pith.
I've turned a little Elm and was not a big fan. I may do it again, but what caught me with the first Elm was that it dried SO fast that even coated with Anchorseal the bowl blank split itself in half within 2 weeks. So additional protection is probably called for if I try it again.
This one I kept in a bag of it's own shavings for a month. I made the bag out of left over Tyvek, and took it out daily for maybe an hour to make sure it was not getting unevenly dry. Sifted the shavings around, wrapped it back up, and on the shelf again.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Hot off the presses.
Black Walnut, 12" tall.
Discovered that I really couldn't live without a Jamieson hollowing system, and that made life a whole lot easier as I got to the bottom of this one.
recent-turnings-dsc_0228.jpg
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

That's gorgeous, Randy! Lovely lines, and the wood is spectacular.

I know you didn't ask, but I had some thoughts about the vase: I find the top of it a bit...hmmm...unfinished. I think that the whole vase would be enhanced by layering a small lip at the top. I was envisioning a very thin ring of something white, like holly, topped by a delicate lip of something really dark, like ebony or rosewood. The contrasting thin white stripe, topped by a thicker dark edge would, I think, make for a very classy-looking piece, without detracting from the sumptuousness of the grain of the walnut.