talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Default Drilling Question,,,,,,,

I'm in the process of doing some remodeling and of course it's not hard to bring in the accuracy of building furniture to a somewhat rougher medium.
(I'm talking about the foundation steel post to horizontal beam connection arena)

The challenge coming up in the next few days is driving "on site" an 11/16" drill bit through an existing 11/16" hole in steel on one side and going thru a 3 1/2" parallam (engineered wood beam) and finding the second 11/16" hole on the other side. Through which I will put 5/8" bolts.

This would be a close visual, Simpson Strong-Tie 4x4 Column Cap HDG CC44HDG at The Home Depot I'm only concerned about the upper part as the bucket in my case is welded to steel posts which go into the concrete foundation. The closest hole to the edge is 2 inches away from the steel plate's edge.

And yes there are these, (of which I've had once upon a time)
Buy Precision Drill Guide at Woodcraft

and I have one of these,
Drilling Jig - Bridge City Tool Works

and I have use of one of these,
FEIN Power Tools
the model I have has a travel only for material up to about an inch thick.

The DG-1 could possibly work if I fasten some rare earth magnets to it and drill a hole with the maximum bushing size to be be followed by an 11/16th drill bit,
and I'm not so sure of the accuracy of the top one from woodcraft and others like it.

Anyone have some strong thoughts on a method?
Rutager? - DJ-1 master
Ron? - Metal master
Michael? - Wiz Kid (where have you been?)
John? - Auto - Industry wiz, something in your tool box toolboxes?
Peter? - Author extraordinaire (future article- Finding your center on the other side?)
Okami? - zen master
Paul Marcel? - nothing in your video archives?

The issue is, just one itty-bitty bit off with your drilling and I'm going through from the other side to meet up with the first attempt, which I don't really want to do. It just wouldn't be righteous.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 04-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Drilling Question,,,,,,,

I've actually done this freehand in the past with good results. I center punch the holes. Then, I start with a 1/4" installer bit and go about 2/3 from one side, carefully checking the square of the bit with a BCT US-3 square. I then go to the other side and do the same. If the holes do not meet perfectly, you can do a little reaming with the bit to get them lined up. I then go to the bigger bit and go halfway from each side. As wood grain can cause drift with spiral bits, you may have to do a little "wallowing" after the holes meet, but I don't think it affects the strength of the connection unless it gets really sloppy.

Alex

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Roger, if you can get to both sides of the bracket, how about using the Fein Mag Drill to drill 1" in from each side? Then you could use those two holes to guide the drill another " in from each side.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Well Roger,

Since you called me out, I'll see if I can be useful. I think if you drew some cross hairs through the middle of the hole and removed the outriggers on the DJ-1 you could just clamp the body on and drill some different sizes up until the final freehand one. Other option might be to make the first steel hole a tad larger to 3/4", then the bushing would drop into the hole a little and center itself.

Good luck,
Rutager
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

... Other option might be to make the first steel hole a tad larger to 3/4", then the bushing would drop into the hole a little and center itself.
Please note info just after 6:20 :

Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM

Roger,

Build you own guide out of scrap. Just start a hole on each end to index the bit, then clamp this to the beam. My guess is that you will end up drilling from both sides.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
drilling-question-roger-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

After watching the video, I did it all wrong 12 years ago. My saving grace may be that you are allowed up to 1/16" oversize on the holes before structure is compromised. That's actually quite a bit of error if you use the square to true your drill bit to the material. Using the two side drilling method I did, the hole is perfect at the surface on each side. If I remember correctly, I hit the opposite hole within the 1/16" margin with the 1/4" drill.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959