talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 PM

Default A Small Desk for the Wife

The winter was crazy and its been a long time since I've finished anything, so I thought I would post this just to reassure folk that I'm still alive and kicking.

The top is some surprise curly cherry - didn't realize what I had until I started milling it. Drawer parts are maple, rest of the desk is cherry.

Joinery is domino except for the drawers which are hand cut dovetails. Inlay is shop made Holly stringing, used the new Lie Nielsen inlay tools - very sweet, but some learning curve.

Last of all, thanks to my dear wife for her patience. This was meant to be ready in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails
small-desk-wife-p1010222.jpg   small-desk-wife-p1010226.jpg   small-desk-wife-p1010228.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A Small Desk for the Wife

Mmm. That's just lovely, Jesse. Great delicacy and proportions. Nice work - I'm sure your wife is very happy she waited!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Nice. That LN set seems like a big chunk of change when you first get it, but it works SO well. Kind of doesn't matter so much once you start using. Your next foray with the tools will have you doing flowers, icicles, and fan inlays. You already are thinking about how to make them do more things before you even finish what you're on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Beautiful, Jesse!!! It's elegant in it's simplicity. She must love it!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Very nice, Jesse!

I love the inlay work.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Jesse,Sweeeeet! I really like the inlaid holly. Jeanne wants to know when hers will be done?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Very nice, Jesse

Regards,

Rob
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks all, for the kind words. The desk passed muster, is in daily use, but now she wants a chair to go with it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Very nice looking table. I wish my "products" were as beautiful. Perhaps one day.

I have a question - how do you match grain of wood on drawer fronts and rest of the table? Is it one piece originally?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimotikka View Post
Very nice looking table. I wish my "products" were as beautiful. Perhaps one day.

I have a question - how do you match grain of wood on drawer fronts and rest of the table? Is it one piece originally?
Thanks for the complement. And you are right, the front starts as one piece, a little wider than the aprons. I rip it into three pieces, cut the drawer fronts from the middle piece, then domino it back together.